Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Drum to disc project
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
Okay, this is not a slant six vehicle, its my 67 Dodge Charger.
Upgrading her from drums to discs in the front, but the brake hoses look like they're going to be short.
So,any suggestions? Is there an article about this issue?
Thank you in advance,
Wes

Post subject: Re: Drum to disc project
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:46 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
One question, is the caliper to the front (ahead of) the spindle or behind it?
The reason I ask, if the caliper is to the front and your brake hose frame anchor is to the rear, just swap the spindles from one side to the other putting the caliper to the rear of the spindle. That way your caliper will be closer to the hose anchor point.
I used A body spindles on my Belvedere to convert to disc brakes. The OEM mounting of the caliper is to the front. I am swapping the spindles around to place the caliper to the rear of the spindle. Now, my brake hoses are a little on the long side but manageable.
This won't affect anything suspension/brake/steering wise. I understand that on some cars, the calipers were usually on the front, but if the car had a front sway bar, the caliper was mounted to the rear for clearance. (just something I have heard, but not verified).
Jus' sayin'

Post subject: Re: Drum to disc project
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:37 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
That is a common issue and typically covered on B/E body sites, and has been covered by Mopar Action and in Adkins
performance book.

Typically you have to swap the spindles side to side so a stock hose will fit...

The issue with the caliper location and the sway bar stems partially from the fact that with the change of the structure of the K-member
the 67-72 A-body (and I hear on the 66-69 B-body) is the sway bar was externally mounted to the bottom front of the K-member and used
a shorter link and bushings... The 1973+ units had the bushings mounted in the 'web' between the body mounting bolts, and the sway bar fit though
the hollow void in the spool mount K-member and used longer links and bushings... so when mounting the later suspension to the earlier version of mounting
some conflict occurs and either some grinding to swapping spindles and mounting the caliper opposite of their design is in order...

Oddly what adds insult to injury is that mopar would recycle their FSM illustrations year to year and using the front suspension and disc brake illustration from 1974
and labelling it F/M body in 1978 isn't accurate when trying to reassemble your Aspen...

:roll:

I would mock one side up and see if the hoses will work... and if not, remove and swap the other assembly on and then see if the hose works better...