Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:51 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hey guys:

I have a question about the "Cleaner Air Package" and "Safety Act" decals that were used on or phased in on '68 Federal models.

My '68 was produced November 17, 1967, so it has all of the full-year '68 mandated safety equipment, but no shoulder belts. It also does not have either the "Safety Act" sticker in the door jamb area or the "cleaner air package" sticker on the forward passenger side inner fender area. I didn't realize it could have either of those until I saw pictures of another very original '68 Valiant that had both. That car had shoulder belts, so I am going to assume it was produced after Jan. 1, 1968.

I looked at a couple more '68 Valiants online to see whether I saw those stickers, and neither had them. One was verifiably an early '68 with a 170, like mine, except with a manual trans. I got to see the build sheet on that car and compared it to mine and under the "CAP idle label", that car had a 4, and mine has a "79". That car was built in LA, mine at Dodge Main. I can find no reference to a "CAP" label part number for that year ending in 79.

So, what's the mystery or lack thereof here? I can't find any evidence that my car had those stickers. Were they both phased in DURING the '68 model year. If you shop for a safety sticker, it says "all '68 69". What does "79" in the cap label box indicate? I like having stickers, but I'm not going to add something my car never actually had. I also love learning trivia, so feel free to chime in. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Bear in mind that there are differences between California cars, and the rest of the states. Many times, an item was required in California, and it may have been as much as three years before the rest of the lower 48 had to have those pieces. For example, a PCV valve was required equipment as early as 1964 in California, but not until 1966 on the rest of the cars.

Roger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
As you noted, the first Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards took effect on 1/1/68. Cars built prior to that date did not have to have side marker lights or reflectors, head restraints, shoulder harnesses, collapsible steering column, etc. Many but not all '68 models built before 1 Jan did have some or all of the required equipment.

Emissions regulation was (and is) totally separate from safety regs. Different agency, different law, no connection, so the effective date of the safety regs does not imply anything about the effective date of the emissions regs. I don't have handy access at the moment to documentation of the effective date, but every official text I've spot checked just now says the first Federal emissions regs applied to 1968 models, regardless of build date. That is supported by the '68 factory parts cattledog, which—unlike '66 and '67—does not list separate parts for vehicles with/without the Clean Air System (CAS), which got that name for the '68 model year; previously it had been CAP, Clean Air Package, a mandatory item in California, optional in the other 49 states. All of the Chrysler literature says all US '68 models have CAS.

Canada-spec cars did not come with CAS (it may or may not have been an orderable option). Keep in mind that build plant does not imply destination market. The Auto Pact took full effect in time for the 1966 model year, so cars and parts could and did flow freely across the border in either direction without duties or taxes. Cars built at Los Angeles were not necessarily California-spec cars (though there was no difference between a California car and a 49-state car for the '68 model year), and cars built at Windsor were not necessarily Canadian-spec cars.

The numbers in a label slot on the build sheet don't necessarily imply the number (or partial number) on the label itself. That nicety, TTBOMK, was introduced later; it was random hit/miss at the beginning of cars having certification and compliance labels, so don't read too much into being unable to find a label that ends with the same digits as you find on the build sheet.

How original is your car? If it's a super-low-miles example with original valve cover and original shock absorber grommets, etc, you might find some clues under the hood: a US model for '68 would have the crankcase breather/oil cap ducted to the air cleaner by a hose. It would have a distributor vacuum control valve (this kind). You could check carburetor and distributor numbers. But all those parts can be removed and swapped; their presence suggests the car was built with CAS, but their absence doesn't suggest it wasn't.

It's also likely there were some early goofs and teething issues with regard to applying appropriate labels and such, since that was a new procedure.

All in all, you'll have to rely on the totality of what you find on the build sheet and fender tag and other clues to guide you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:58 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
"Cleaner Air Package"

My 68 Barracuda, built in late 67 also does not have shoulder belts, but it did have the 'Cleaner Air Package' sticker, never saw a 'Safety Act' sticker.