Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: truck frame interchange
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
I assume that any '72 to '93 1/2 short bed frame can interchange with any other year. Is that correct ? In particular is there an issue with using a '92 D150 frame on an '86 D150?

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I put a large fuel tank with an in tank electric pump from a 92 D150 in my short bed 83 D150 without any problems,
the hangers all matched up, I bet they are the same.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:54 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The early '70s frames had a tendency to crack around the steering box. That's how my '72 meet its demises.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:24 am 
Board Sponsor

Other than measuring another frame is there a place I can download frame alignment specs? The passenger side control arm is definitely tweaked on this '86 D150. The front frame rails near the bumper appear to be okay - to my eyes. Somewhere, I downloaded specs for a '70s A-body - measurement from bolt "A" to "B" etc. I know there are collision repair specs for the trucks.

The bed and interior are pristine on this truck with Prosperter package. Its got power windows. I'm going to save the truck. An interior this clean is uncommon on a 33 year old truck that faced the Texas sun. It'll need hood, passenger fender, bumper and radiator support and a grill.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
It would be a interesting shipping arrangement,
But I have a nice OE chrome front bumper and an OE
silver paint rear step bumper that can be bought.
Were original to the 83 D150

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

DadTruck wrote:
It would be a interesting shipping arrangement,
But I have a nice OE chrome front bumper and an OE
silver paint rear step bumper that can be bought.
Were original to the 83 D150

I have an '84 1/2 ton short bed. I'll just have to measure and compare them. If I swap the frame from the Pick N Pull I'll probably end up painting the frame and under body. The '84 truck is pretty good too, the bed on this one is a little better. The 'new' truck doesn't have a motor or transmission, not so easy to measure the other frame with a motor in it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

The frame is tweaked as best I can tell - but could be straightened by a shop. I may repair the damaged the frame and use it on my '61 uteline, the D150 has a 1 inch longer wheelbase ( 115 vs 114-inch ) . The sweptline forums say the 1st gen Ram frame has a taller rear kickup than the sweptlines used but that is not a issue with the utiline bed - the body lines on the sweptside bed might not align with the cab, doesn't matter with the uteline. The '60s and '80s frames are the same width.

I think the passenger frame rail needs to be pushed wider slightly more than 1-inch, which might not matter much, but it looks odd to the eyes. I use a ruled straight edge with carpenter square taped to one end, and then slide another carpenter square to certain points on the frame so I can measure a straight line around the engine and transmission - on the donor vehicle. Many of the donor vehicles have also been wrecked, I had to measure the frames of two trucks to find a "standard".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:10 pm 
Board Sponsor

I got a frame from an '85 D150. I might have waited but I saw this truck with no drivetrain. It was not difficult to remove the frame, but it was tiresome to position the cab and bed so that the hoist had room in the salvage yard.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:37 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
you are certainly moving forward, great progress

can you tell us again, exactly what are you putting on top of that 85 D150 frame?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 am 
Board Sponsor

Its an '86 D150 short bed with Prospector trim. Currently no motor or transmission. I'm going to repaint the replacement frame and see about having the damaged frame repaired as I'd like to use it in my '61 D100. The '61 has 114-inch wheelbase, the '86 is 115-inch. I'd like to eliminate the solid front axle on the older truck.

The Dylon McCool Youtube channel does this frame swap. My '61 has the uteline bed and in much better condition than this truck. The D150 and Sweptline frames are the same width from the cab on back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImhLfUTUYq0&t=374s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
that should be a really nice upgrade to the Sweptline

keep you eyes open when prowling around the Pull A Parts, back when I re did my 83 D150 I got a front and rear
sway bars off a D250 that looked like it was used for towing.

another upgrade I did on mine was I stumbled across a newer Dodge 1500 that had the bed removed, I got the
spare tire hoist off that, made a simple bracket and put that on the 83 D150,, a lot better than dealing with that
length of flat iron used to hold the spare tire up,,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

I only got the bare frame for the D150. Would B series van lower control arms drop the front ride height more than that of, say a 1992 Dakota? I have a '92 Dakota and like the lower stance of the truck. I wouldn't want to do this on the D150 if it would bottom out in daily use or have handling problems. I'm not going off road, but I will use the truck for hauling now and then, but for heavier loads I will use a trailer.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Would B series van lower control arms drop the front ride height more than that of, say a 1992 Dakota?

Yes it is about 4" lower than stock if I remember correctly. Ryan's truck has them on it. I will try and remember to take a picture tomorrow and post it. Rick