Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1962 Valiant R Series - Australian (1961 in USA.)
G'day guys,

just sitting here browsing the ads on Ebay etc, and......completely stunned at some of the prices people ask for ratty old bits.

And the thing is.....a lot of them never seem to sell. Are these early Vals really that collectible in the States, because I know that they never used to be. Here in Australia - whilst they are a sought after car (among Mopar guys....nobody else), you can still find reasonably priced parts and trim. Sure there are people asking "pie in the sky" money for stuff, but generally only to people who mightn't know better.

Which brings me back to some items I looked at today......one steering wheel I saw was listed for $400 U.S., and it wasn't that great. Now.......unless there's a shortage of bits over there, maybe they are counting on international purchases, but here's the thing....the Aussie dollar is currently worth about 50 cents U.S....combine with postage, and honestly....this steering wheel would cost about $1000 to bring here. And our prices in general aren't too far off you guys.

So.....are they really in that much demand ?? Genuinely curious.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:54 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Hi Peter,

I do not think they are in such demand. Ebay sellers sometimes confuse rare with valuable. However, there are not a lot of parts left, and many Ebay sellers can wait for just the right person, perhaps? Not sure what to do about that, except to wait them out. Best thing is to post what you are after on this site and see if someone here can help you. Maybe you have already tried, but re-posting once in a while in Parts Wanted with a specific list can bring out new folks who don't check in very often.

Hope you have better luck and all the best,
Lou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:30 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1962 Valiant R Series - Australian (1961 in USA.)
Dart270 wrote:
Hi Peter,

I do not think they are in such demand. Ebay sellers sometimes confuse rare with valuable. However, there are not a lot of parts left, and many Ebay sellers can wait for just the right person, perhaps? Not sure what to do about that, except to wait them out. Best thing is to post what you are after on this site and see if someone here can help you. Maybe you have already tried, but re-posting once in a while in Parts Wanted with a specific list can bring out new folks who don't check in very often.

Hope you have better luck and all the best,
Lou

G'day Lou,

you're right......but it just seems incredible to me some of the figures being thrown around.

Mate, I don't need many bits, but I do keep an eye out for spares.
Ebay especially seems to be a bit of a waste of time. I've already been in contact with some really decent enthusiasts on the forum. It's great.

I've just started my rostered holidays for work......we're not supposed to venture outdoors because of this virus, so I'll be spending most of my time out in the carort with the old Val.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:13 am 

Car Model:
Carport time is time well spent - good for mental health...

Lou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:26 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
outrageous prices to me mean the seller is really saying "I really DON'T want to sell" or "waiting for that "sucker" they claim is born every minute....
I play with garden tractors quite a lot, and parts in that arena are also "getting stupid". yet I can't seem to sell my stuff when the time comes, for half of what others are asking/ and the complaint? "I'm still too high"....I don't see these other guys ever selling what they have.

but just because people WANT those prices, don't mean they are GETTING them. What I don't get, is that these people eventually wind up tossing these parts to the curb/ but yet won't budge off their asking prices.... when they could have gotten "something" for them....
there is a sorta local guy on CL, that always has 81-93 Dodge truck stuff... in the last 6 months he puts this blurb on the bottom of his ad about "I don't sell for junkyard price, my prices are market price".... What market? The junkyard is often my market when looking for parts.... this guy wants $275 right now for a door, any door he has, for an 81-93 truck, BARE... and $350 with glass, window regulator, etc. and I know of several available right now, for $50-75 each.... and in dang good shape, at that..... this CL seller used to be reasonable, he's been at it for a few years..... he must be getting down to what he wants to keep for himself, but still has the ads up to "Satisfy the wife"... "Yeah honey, I know I have too much junk... I have it all listed for sale, I'm 'trying' to sell it".....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:38 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Hi Peter
They aren't making these parts anymore and some sellers mark their parts up every year.
They have the "when they are gone, they are gone forever" attitude.
And I don't think there are many people looking for these parts either.
The Valiants and Lancers are such niche cars, folks either love them or dislike them, not many in-between the lines.
I have seen CRAZY prices for 70 Cuda stuff, hood pins and one year only gas cap come to mind.
But when you are one part away from finishing a car, you might bite the bullet.
I was able to find my new parts over a 10 year period, and somewhat manage costs for my project.
Even still I have folks at shows tell me I was crazy to spend that much money on my wagon.
But I saved one more old car, and I had my reasons. So yea I over paid.

Stay safe down under!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:07 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Makes investing in a 3d printer for making plastic interior pieces and molds for casting metal piece look more economical.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I suspect the vast majority of sellers with unrealistic to us parts prices are either hoping someone comes along who really needs the part as was mentioned, hoping someone comes along who has no idea what the parts are really worth and most likely have enough storage space and not much invested in the part that they can afford to let it sit. Seeing that in old cars of most types. Even with the current economic situation you don't see prices going down much. No much selling but again either holding out for what they know it is worth in their minds or
hoping for a miracle or someone with more money than sense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I will say this….. you may have to tweak your search keywords, etc.... but on Ebay anyways, most of what I seek, is available from more than 1 source.
and the prices on any given thing, very WIDELY. how someone can sell "Widget A" for $24.00 with free shipping/ and others think they can get $124.00 plus shipping, for the exact same "widget A" (brand, color, part number,etc) drives me absolutely crazy/ don't buy the 1st of anything you may see available without at least a little "searching around"/// put it in your "watch" list as you look around. some things are "close" in price from Vendor A to the others, but not always...... Buyer Beware.
It's possible that what you seek is different from what I usually do, maybe what you want/need, really IS "the only 1 out there" but I doubt it.
and "how much of a hurry you are in" almost always dictates what you pay..... I often settle on "this" item, then a week later find someone with the same thing for less.... or closer.... or somehow better than what I ultimately bought.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:20 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Restoring 30-60 year old cars is not going to be "budget friendly ", and unless it hapens to be something really special like a Hemi, ZL-1, Boss.....it's an economic black hole.

It's easy to sit back and say something is way overpriced, but the reality is they have one and you need one. A part is worth exactly how many dollars someone will peel off the stack.

I've had a few deals lately where I gave guys more than they were asking because their prices were too cheap. I have also paid way too much just because I knew the seller and their situation in life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:26 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Wise words Dennis.

I really need to get to one of those slant 6 midwest gatherings sometime. Maybe we can hang out and you tell me smart stuff :D

Greg

Last edited by Greg Ondayko on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:43 am 

Smart stuff. :lol:

But you're always welcome here. We really don't stop Easterners at the border. (Except Venables for obvious reasons.) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
He isn't even an easterner..

But feel free to stop him anytime he steals you lil red piggie, takes it all apart and doesn't put it back together....

;-)

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:21 pm 

:mrgreen:

We're naturally suspicious of them Hoosiers anyway. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
slantzilla wrote:

We're naturally suspicious of them Hoosiers anyway. :lol:

But you bought 4 of 'em for the buzzin 0.5 duzzin?

Greg