Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Florida slant six race ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:24 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
The owner of the 1/8 mile track in Green Cove Springs, Florida is open to possibly hosting a Slant Six race. This track is about a 1/2 hour south of Jacksonville. Could do a two day meet either Fri & Sat nite, or Sat & Sun daytime, depending on what dates. The track runs at nite during the hot weather. It would be in conjunction with the tracks regular scheduled racing.
We were thinking, maybe in November or April. Anyone interested, or should I forget it?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Last edited by Charrlie_S on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:07 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Charlie,
I think that it would be great to have a "southern" race again, if you can get people to come out. There should be enough Georgia, Florida and other racers to put on a decent race! Come on folks, If Tennessee & Kentucky & Maryland are tooooo far, here s your chance to support a race close to home.

Even if it doesn't happen this year, I think it is worth discussing again for the future.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:51 am 

Looks like you are still all alone Charlie! :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
The main factor will be getting 3-6 FL or local people to commit to coming. Once you have that, you can attract people from further away.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:32 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
The main factor will be getting 3-6 FL or local people to commit to coming. Once you have that, you can attract people from further away.

Lou

Between the Adams family and myself, we have three slant six cars for the race. But if that is the only interest, I won't bother.

Just talked to 1974duster kev, he is in for this. That makes four cars.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:55 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Myself and one other over on Fabo committed to coming to this race. I would have done extra leg work here locally just to promote the race if someone had asked although admittedly it would be hard for me to get anyone to drive 2.5 hrs to a race in Jacksonville.

There are tracks here much closer to both of us Charlie but Ill assume there is a reason you did not choose them.

I am in the automotive business so getting the word out is not an issue for me.

More could have been done to have promoted a race but instead hands are thrown up in the air and everyone gives up.

How about organizing something way ahead of time and promoting it, asking local people that share the interest to help with promoting?

This is very disappointing for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:52 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
1930 wrote:
Myself and one other over on Fabo committed to coming to this race. I would have done extra leg work here locally just to promote the race if someone had asked although admittedly it would be hard for me to get anyone to drive 2.5 hrs to a race in Jacksonville.

This is a problem we seem to have in Florida, No on wants to travel. the racers want it at there local track.

Quote:
There are tracks here much closer to both of us Charlie but Ill assume there is a reason you did not choose them.

I don't know the operators of those tracks, even though I have been to most of them. Many track owners, don't want to bother with a small group of cars. They feel it is more trouble then the money is worth.

Quote:
I am in the automotive business so getting the word out is not an issue for me.

More could have been done to have promoted a race but instead hands are thrown up in the air and everyone gives up.

How about organizing something way ahead of time and promoting it, asking local people that share the interest to help with promoting?

How far ahead of time would you suggest? November is three months away, and April is 8 months away.

Quote:
This is very disappointing for me.

For me, also. I tried setting up three slant six races, at the Mopar Southern Nationals, in Valdosta, Ga. If I remember corectly one race had 5 cars, one race about 13 cars, I don't remember the third race, but not many. One of those races had a purse of about $2000 in cash and merchandise.
Also set up a race at Silver Dollar Raceway in Ga. Had three cars there, and two of them were mine.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:14 am 

Quote:
admittedly it would be hard for me to get anyone to drive 2.5 hrs

That is actually a pretty close race for most people. Especially Charlie, who travels @ 900 miles one way to race with us in Maryland.

1930, If you have the contacts and the desire to help promote a race then by all means go for it. And I am sure that Charlie will welcome some assistance getting people out to a race.

Being in Northern Fl, may be a help in getting some out of state people to come.

I think 3 months is plenty of time to promote a race. Gauge interest here and you are over on FABO. If you don't get any more excitement than the 6 you have now then you will likely not have any more racers than that. Not saying you can't have a small race, but 12 or 14 or 16 is just a lot more fun.

And there are always some of the folks who are planning to come who will back out. That is just the nature of the beast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:41 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I consider 2.5 hrs a close race, and I am in the middle of the highest density Slant 6 racing region in the country. No races are closer than 2 hrs from me. 2-6 hrs drive are typical.

You might try 3 months lead time, but lots of people have things planned that far out already, so 8 months might be easier to promote and more reliable for getting a good turnout.

My 2 cents...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:20 am 

Quote:
8 months might be easier to promote and more reliable for getting a good turnout.

Lou may be right. Then it would be our lead off race going into the 2015 season.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Just to clarify, I do not know of a single other person in my area that is keenly interested in slant sixes ( other than Charlie and he is near 2 hrs away I think, Ill find out tomm when I drive out there ) so it would be difficult to get people from my area to travel the 2.5.-3 for the race that Charlie mentioned.

If the race was a bit closer ( sunshine or Bradenton ) than I could work on getting people to make the drive although they would prob. only be spectators.

I deal with alot of vendors who I am sure would be happy to help promote the race ( with flyers ) and if they have no interest in that than I will do it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:08 pm 

Quote:
I do not know of a single other person in my area that is keenly interested in slant sixes

That is a problem if you want to get a race started. :(