Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 23 Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:47 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1962 and 1965 Plymouth Valiants
Was going to make the trip to spectate on Sunday. Shooting to have my '62 there next year. Worked at assembling disc brakes yesterday. Hopefully things will start moving along a little quicker and I'll be able to mix it up w/ you all next season.

Kevan Moore
SS/Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:50 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
There were several cameras and phones being used. I will try to get what I can and post. I didn’t take the time for my typical blow by blow commentary or pictures. I was a tad busy.

I will post more comments shortly. Enjoying coffee on the deck in the rain right now.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:52 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Sorry I missed your call yesterday Kevan. We were at Pizza Hut and it was LOUD! :lol:

Great times with such a great group of people.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:21 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Just got home. Lots of rain.
It was great to see/meet everyone!

Thanks to Rob for a job well done!

burg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:39 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Thanks to you for jumping in and pitching in with everything, John!! It was a HUGE help!! It rained on us the whole trip home as well.

Here is the final list of Racers in the order that we drew numbers. 36 cars on the ladder Saturday. It was 35, but "Sometime Sam" Daugherty showed up late as usual. Rodney Hargis gave up his Bye run in the first round to let Sam slide in at the very last minute. Great sportsmanship, as usual, from our 3 time National Champion.

Laney Heisten's 63 Dart from Carthage, MO blew a head gasket Friday night. They tore it apart and were going to replace the head gasket, but decided to err on the side of caution to prevent any further damage to the engine. That really bummed me out, because I was secretly (not so secretly now :roll: :lol: ) pulling for her to win Rookie of the Year.

We also had two Slant powered tow rigs that pulled car trailers from Indianapolis, IN and Ocala, FL!!

There were many more in attendance like John Burgmaster, Gene McRill, Chuck Ellis, Seymour Pederson, Kent Nicholls, Joe Nelson,... I know I'm missing several...

Actual Attendees:
1. Rodney Hargis – 62 Dodge Lancer – Wartburg, TN
2. Brian Droschak – 67 Dodge Dart – West Mifflin, PA
3. Mike Evans – 79 Dodge Aspen – Buckingham, IA
4. Barry Harrison – 66 Plymouth Valiant – Florence, SC
5. Rick Covalt – 65 Plymouth Valiant – Waynesboro, PA
6. Norm Foster – 69 Dodge Dart – Dalton, GA
7. Greg Ondayko – 68 Plymouth Valiant – Irwin, PA
8. Liz Mader – 65 Plymouth Valiant – LeCanto, FL
9. Lou Madsen – 66 Plymouth Valiant – Blacksburg, VA
10. Frank Femling – 54 Plymouth Wagon – Hastings, MN
11. Gary Bruner – 64 Plymouth Valiant – Maynardville, TN
12. Brian Mimken – 74 Plymouth Duster – Etowah, NC
13. Dan Gravatt – 69 Plymouth Barracuda – Telford, PA
14. Mike Andreas – 65 Plymouth Valiant – Raleigh, NC
15. Jackie Everhardt Jr. – 75 Dodge Dart – Elizabethton, TN
16. Steve Adams – 71 Plymouth Valiant – Palatka, FL
17. Meril Bruner – 67 Plymouth Valiant – Maynardville, TN
18. Dennis Morris – 64 Plymouth Valiant Convertible – Strongsville, OH
19. John Metelko – 69 Plymouth Barracuda – Indianapolis, IN
20. Timmy Charapich – 83 Dodge Ram – Marion, VA
21. Jackie Everhardt III – 80 Dodge Ram – Elizabethton, TN
22. Lukus Bruner – 80 Dodge D50 – Maynardville, TN
23. Ron Hamby – 66 Dodge Dart – Wilkesboro, NC
24. Mark Charapich – 60 Plymouth Valiant – Marion, VA
25. Ryan Covalt – 62 Plymouth Valiant – Waynesboro, PA
26. Joel Harris – 69 Plymouth Valiant – Radom, IL
27. Charlie Schmid – 66 Plymouth Valiant – Ocala, FL
28. James Soard – 64 Plymouth Valiant – Carthage, MO
29. Phil Stoneback – 66 Dodge Dart GT Convertible – Soudeton, PA
30. Larry Chesney – 64 Dodge Dart – Maynardville, TN
31. Mark Goodman – 66 Dodge Dart Wagon – Carthage, MO
32. Rob Simmons – 73 Plymouth Duster – Brandenburg, KY
33. Wes Alumbaugh – 62 Plymouth Valiant – Carthage, MO
34. Rusty Heisten – 61 Dodge Lancer – Carthage, MO
35. Dennis Schumers – 68 Plymouth Valiant – Park Forest, IL
36. Sam Daugherty – 65 Plymouth Barracuda – Somewhere in TN
37. Laney Heisten – 63 Dodge Dart – Carthage, MO
38. John Metelko – 83 Dodge Ram (Tow) – Indianapolis, IN
39. Charlie Schmid – 83 Dodge Ram (Tow) – Ocala, FL

More still to come... :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Here are the points earned at Clay City Saturday. I didn't re-sort it by the race points. I just filtered it down to the 37 racers that earned points. The car count says 36 because that was the number on the ladder. I'll adjust that.

Attachments:
Clay City Points.JPG
Clay City Points.JPG [ 49.63 KiB | Viewed 8316 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:19 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

There were 37 Racers at the big Racer’s Reunion in Clay City, KY this weekend! People towed in from 14 different states and from as far away as Florida, Missouri, Minnesota and Iowa!

In an effort to re-live that “Magic Moment” from Clay City 20 years ago there were three racers from that event that brought back the cars that were there.

Team Green is back in full force and had 5 cars there all the way from Carthage, MO. Back in the day Team Green was known for their matching Lime Green 61 Lancer and 62 Valiant pushing the envelope and using innovative ideas.

The Lancer has been back now for a few years setting records with Rusty Heisten at the wheel. Over the last year or so Mark Goodman has been quietly working on the Valiant for Wes Alumbaugh so they could bring back the Team for this event. A cool added twist is that they found the supercharged engine out of the late Dale Rose’s Plymouth Arrow to power the Valiant. Wes hasn’t raced with us since 2001!

Mark and his wife Dixie drove their 66 Dart wagon all the way from Carthage and James Soard brought his 64 Valiant wagon. Both cars came from the estate of the late Bob Stepp who was a major part of supporting this racing series for many years.

Laney Heisten was the fifth car in the Team Green contingent with her 63 Dart running mid 14s Friday night at test & tune. Laney was set to take the lead for Rookie of the Year until she blew a head gasket. Rusty and team crew chief Jeff Strahl started to replace it with a gasket from Rick Covalt, but they couldn’t determine the exact cause of the failure. They decided to err on the side of caution to prevent any further engine damage and called it in.

Another car that was there in 1998 and was the low qualifier was the 68 Valiant “Buzzin’ Half Duzzin’” driven by Mike Jeffrey. Mike mothballed the Valiant several years ago to focus on racing a Mirada in Stock Eliminator. When he decided to retire from all racing a couple years ago his long-time friend Dennis Schumers bought the Valiant and thrashed over the last several months to be able to bring the car to the reunion. Dennis even found a striped shirt just like Mike and partner Blaine Mueller used to wear. Dennis hasn’t raced with us since 2011, so it was great to see him wheeling such an iconic Slant 6 car!

The third blast from the past and an awesome surprise for everyone was Barry Harrison and his 66 Valiant “Six Pak”. Barry hasn’t raced with us since 2008 and wasn’t expected to be at Clay City. The car needed new lexan and Barry was reported as wanting to sell it, so it was really cool to see him pull through the gate ready to race! He had a nitrous bottle hooked up and was ready to show Howard Davis how that “baby bottle” could put his front tires in the air and take him to the winner’s circle again. Barry said it was good to be back and we could look forward to seeing him and the “Six Pak” at future races running the number. Are you reading this, Howard? Clay City 2019… :twisted:

There were three first time Slant 6 racers added to the Rookie roster at Clay City. Two that were brand new to drag racing and one very familiar with the quarter mile.

Frank Femling (moparfrank) joined us from Hastings, MN with his 54 Plymouth 2 door custom wagon. He also brought his big block powered Nostalgia Super Stock 66 Dart wagon to run in the Box class.

Dennis Morris drove his 64 Valiant convertible from Strongsville, OH to bang gears with his three on the tree!

Liz Mader had never drag raced before and was a little nervous before her first round of test & tune Friday night, but as soon as she was past her first time jitters she was seen making round after round in her 65 Valiant. She even donned a cool retro American flag helmet for the race Saturday.

The Race for the Championship had Jackie Everhardt III winning three rounds to take the third spot from his dad and threaten the Poser from Kentucky for second. The top two spots stayed the same with both Ryan and Rob winning one round.

At Pizza Hut after the race Jackie and Rob were seen scheming in the corner about setting nitrous records for those 20 bonus points to try and catch Ryan. Meanwhile, Ryan was casually enjoying his pizza nearby with Whitney and their super cute daughters. It’s a good thing those bonus points are capped at once per season, because Ryan re-set another one this weekend!

Attachments:
Points thru CC 1.JPG
Points thru CC 1.JPG [ 73.77 KiB | Viewed 8290 times ]
Points thru CC 2.JPG
Points thru CC 2.JPG [ 67.41 KiB | Viewed 8290 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
link to Clay City 2018 photos
pictures taken by wvenable on my phone

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13718356@ ... 5325003250

after clicking the link, on the flicker page, in the upper right corner is a
representation of a monitor with an arrow on it,
click that and the photos will be in a slide show view

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:55 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Just got home. 800 miles, 16 hours, straight through. Whew I'm beat. Going to bed.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Thanks again to Rob for the great job promoting and running this race. I couldn't believe there were still 36 running Slant cars in the country. :shock:

Thanks to the track for treating us so well.

Thanks to Wayne Venables and Mike Evans for being grill masters, and to Johnsonville for providing the brat patties.

When I left home Friday I fully intended this to be my last long distance trip to go racing, but I just may make the trip again next year. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:25 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Scotty Richardson and his crew along with Nitro Joe treated us like royalty! If anyone is on Facebook, please post something about how well they treated us!

It was so awesome to see such a great turnout despite the weather. And seeing folks return to Slant 6 racing after being away so long was inspiring!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:16 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thank you Rob....great event...
It was great to meat n see everyone

We made it home ok even with all the rain n a few shakes n growls lol...
I'm looking forward more racing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Thanks Rob for all your work getting this together. It was a great time and it was great seeing everyone! We did entirely over run the Pizza Hut saturday night which was cool too. I'm glad we got to race some/hangout more. Looking forward to seeing you at Mason Dixon in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:32 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Sorry I missed the EPIC race, but my Son's wedding was epic also. We have had lots of rain here in Dallas so the weather was not on anyone side. I know everyone there had a great time, and got to rub shoulders with some of the greatest slant six folks that are in the planet.
Hope everyone got home safe.

You never know what life brings, but God willing and the creek don't rise, Lancersaurus and the Aiton's will be there next year. And I think there is some other race I will be at in the spring also....

Congrats to everyone who played a part and helped bring all these slants out from the barns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I’ll see you at Mo-Kan Stan. :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 23 Next