Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:47 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
http://www.bristoldragway.com/bristol_dragway/special_dragway_events/344608.html

Here is a link to the event page. I will post the flyer once I complete it. Hopefully today.

Keep checking back and make your plans now!

Tom Drake

Last edited by Tom Drake on Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:55 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The purse for Bristol is as follows:

Slant 6 Bracket Race
Winner - $600
R/U - $300
Semis - $100
Qtrs - $50

Total - $1300

Slant 6 Fast Four
Winner - $200
R/U - $100
Semis - $50

Total - $400

So there is a total of $1700 up for grabs!!! Come win some $$$ and have a little fun at the same time.

Tom Drake

Post subject: Big Money
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:54 am 
SL6 Racer

Car Model:
:lol: Tom, thanks for the hard work and prize money. This morning as I was reading on line for the first time in a while I saw the post about Bobby and started down memory lane. The mopar southern classic witch bobby started at Bristle was the first to host a slant six race.We had ben gathering at the mopar nats and the southerclassic with the likes of the bruner clan,Mike Jefferyand the Carthrage gang for several years before this just for friendship and bragging rites.We thout at that time there were only 6 or 7 slantsix racers in the world, I know it sounds crazy now but we diddent have the internet back then. In 1995 I think it was, Merill Bruner and some west cost guy named Doctor Dodge had ben poking at Bobby to have a slant six elimination and the rest is history. That year was the most memrable of all the races I have ever attended. I wish to share it with you. We had a tippical last minute thrash and we were off for a all night drive showing up at sunrise friday. When we got there ,there was no room, it took a while but we ended up right on the fence by the starting line and boy was that cool. After tec we tride to make a pass, the front pump broke in the tranny comming out of the water box insted.we were bummed really bad. Soon we found a doner trany in the swap meet area and went to work. We got it put back together to make the last pass down the track of the day, I think it went a 12.7something. The next morning we quailifide the 66 NO 1 we couldent belive we had the fastest car that weakend. John my brother drove the dart to a third place finnish. Gary Bruner was the first winner and are now 3 time world champ Ron Hamby was the first runner up. It was the coolest thing I had ever ben a part of. To top this off the Doc flew in from the west coast,my first recollection of him also there was this tall guy from Minn. hanging out taking a lot of pictures.I dont think I need to tell you who this guy is. Just when I thought things coudnt get any better Brent Kempner from espn comes pulling up, rolls his window down and says I remember you guys.He had interviewed me and John in Columbus in the spring. Brent and his camera man spent a good deal of time in our pit and did a clip on the car. It was one of the best times I had ever had. For this, I thank God and everybody else that helped make it happen. Also I would like to say that I have met most of my slantsix friends in Bristle and have had agreat time when I have ben able to attended. Bristle is a very special place for me and I thank all that keep the tradition going. Thanks for letting me share this with everybody. JIM :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:52 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Jim - Thanks for the great story. Now let me tell you one. :D

We had always made the Bristol Mopar show, it was kind of an annual thing for the Drake Clan. Dad was getting close to retirement and had thoughts of putting the Simca back on the track. It had been sitting for close to 6 years and there had been a lot of thoughts on what to do with it. I kept saying "just put it back like it was with the slant in it." He was toying with the idea when we attended the Bristol show that year. It was at that show that we say the neatest little Lancer with a slant 6 in it. After annoying those guys( and the rest of the slant racers) most of the weekend the fire was burning strong. After seeing all of the slant cars run that year the decision was simple and we started the long process of putting the Simca together. Instead of going with the original chassis Dad decided that he want to do this one right and we started talking to builders about building a complete tube chassis car and the rest, as they say, is history. That is why we busted our rears to make sure the first race we ran it at was Bristol. I will always remember how excited Dad was running the car that weekend and that place will always be special to me for that reason.

Tom Drake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:10 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I'll chime in about Bristol too.

I bought my '72 Slant 6 Dart in 1991. I popped the hood and saw this wierd slanted 6 cylinder instead of a V-8. Bummer, but I still want it! When I sat down with the salesman he handed me a Slant 6 News Magazine and said there was a local club for these cars....

I joined the club and got the occasional magazine and read about these "performance guys" like Doug Dutra and others that race these things. The local crowd in Arizona weren't really into racing, so I just read about it until the magazines stopped coming. I raced the bone stock Dart a couple times at the Friday Night Drags at Firebird in Phoenix and managed to take home a couple plaques...

Then, a couple years ago I found this message board and really wanted to get involved. When the Army said I was coming to Atlanta I realized I would finally be close enough to make it to some Slant 6 Races....

I won't re-hash the whole GodsRods saga, but my 6 year old son Chase and I made it to Bristol last year and I finally got to meet most of the people I had been reading about in SSRN. So Bristol was my first experience "getting involved" with Slant 6 Racing too. Great facilities and awesome people made me want to come back every year.

I really want to make it this year, but my move to Germany happens a couple days later, so we're going to head down to Reynold's for the Mopar Show and see if we can stir up some interest in a Divisional series there. That's another good place to race. Not a Bristol, but really nice folks running the track and they have hot boiled peanuts and fried green tomatoes! :D

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:39 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
BONUS

If all 4 Fast Four cars run in the 10's then I will give each fast four car a $50 bonus on top of the existing purse. I do not care if the fourth car runs 10.99999999 it counts. That means the Ron H. or Dale R. could step it up with a little shot of NOS! Norm, with a little tuning and NOS, could be a player. Even if the fourth car does not qualify in the 10's but runs one in the first rd then that counts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:54 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Here is the schedule.

Mopar Mania Schedule

FRIDAY

9 a.m. Gates Open
1 p.m. Competitor's Parking and Registration
4 p.m. Test & Tune (Mopar Only)
9 p.m. Secure Track

SATURDAY