Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:57 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
Rear axle seal gave out so I tore apart the rear brakes (and fixed seals/replaced bearings/put on new axle studs). I saw the article linked to upgrading 9"drums from SSD and had a few questions.

I bought the 69+ style adjusters which SSD said may require a service manual because they are hard to assemble, the ones I got are only three piece and don't seem hard to put together at all. Am I missing something? Or are all the adjusters the same from parts store nowadays? They do look different than the ones on the car (64 dart) but seem to look like a direct fit.

Also I plan on using the newer style shoe hold down, but the pin is smaller diameter than the hole in the backing plate. Could I just use a stainless washer on the back of the plate or will it throw off the spring length from adding distance?

Thanks
Brandon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162600228@N03/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:37 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
What is that Article?

could you provide a Link?

Might be helpful on Brian's 66 Drag car - Brakes were sketchy and Need a good going through, This info might be helpful.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:28 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

http://www.geocities.ws/MotorCity/2398/brakes/brakeindex.html

Pretty sure it is an ancient article but it should help out for those of us that are too stubborn to switch out old 9" drums.

There was a discussion with a few questions a few threads down but the disc brake folks talked him down from drums I think.

My car is all original and I want to keep it as original as possible so I'll be sticking to 9"brakes.

I found a kit on rockauto for about $12 that has two of the adjusters and all the upgraded parts, it is Carlson H2309. Found it searching under 87 dodge dakota with 9" rear drums. Looks to have every spring included as well. I'll be getting to the side that I replaced the seal and bearing on this week and will know then if all the stuff needed is in the kit.

I am just going to get a stainless washer to put behind the backing plate to hold the pin in place, I doubt it should cause any problems. I really hate those crappy spring type hold downs.

Brandon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Cool.

Thanks All.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:55 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge Dart 270
Just need to get a master cylinder and the 9" finned drums. Have everything else. I guess around $100 ain't too bad. The 67 car has the 9" finned drums, and they seem to work well. Just need to check the adjustment twice a season. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:23 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Looks like the adjusters are a no go. The newer style adjusters have the star wheel located out further than the old ones. To use them you would also need a newer style adjuster lever. They are available to buy but they attach to the shoe differently as well.

I'll likely stick to older style adjusters, the ones in the car didn't seize up but also don't look great.

Pretty sure I can get the newer pin type hold downs to work, I bought some stainless washers to put behind the backing plate.

Brandon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:45 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Dart GT
I used washers behind the plates...been 10 yrs now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I went to a newer style on my 64 and didn't have any problems...……
(don't remember how much newer)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
OGLeanDart270 wrote:
I'll likely stick to older style adjusters, the ones in the car didn't seize up but also don't look great.

Whenever I have drum brakes apart, I usually take the adjuster apart and clean up the rotating surfaces (threads as well as the nub where one of the ends spins freely) with a wire brush to make sure they don't bind up. Soaking in a big can of carb cleaner helps if they're especially grungy or seized up. Sometimes I've lightly lubricated them prior to reassembly, but I'm honestly not sure if this is a good idea or if it just attracts more road grime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:23 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
A little never seize down in the hole works wonders! It keeps them free for a looong time. :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:18 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: '63 DeSoto Rebel
emsvitil wrote:
I went to a newer style on my 64 and didn't have any problems

That's 'cause there are no problems to be had—if one is thoughtful about the project and installs the later adjuster setup complete, without taking a notion to try mixing incompatible early and late parts.

Quote:
(don't remember how much newer)

The two kinds are '68-down (problematic) and '69-up (dependable).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:02 am 
3 Deuce Weber

So the car is sitting in the garage for winter and I'm almost out of the busy season at work so I'm almost ready to finish up my brakes. The kit I mentioned above actually has the adjuster levers and pivot pins included in the kit so I have everything I need in theory. Didn't look closely enough when I was trying things out earlier. That makes the adjuster kit a pretty good deal if I can get it to work.

Problem I have is the pivot pins don't fit, the machined holes in my 64 shoes are too big.

Do later shoes with the pins built in interchange? They appear the same to me but that is just from Rockauto pics (which may not be actual parts listed). I do notice the brake bar levers appear to be different from my 64 compared to the ones in the pics above so I am curious.

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Brandon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: '63 DeSoto Rebel
Yes, the shoes interchange directly. I don't recall them coming with the pivot pins already pressed in; the no-luck/won't-fit on the pivot pins being too small for the holes is related more to shoe brand than to application year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:32 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Thanks, ordered some shoes for a 69 Cuda with 9" brakes so I should have everything I need. Going to get these in and then move on to a dual pot master cylinder.

Brandon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:46 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I gotta say....a lot of the replacement parts for drum brakes sold now are far below OEM quality. Chinese-made junk. Star wheels with rounded off edges, tabs with rounded off edges, clips that sometimes do and sometimes don't stay in place, etc. I've bought all new parts then tossed a lot of them in the garbage and reused the original pieces at times.

Anyway...my point is you should try to buy the most reputable parts you can, then inspect them to make sure they are going to work as intended.