Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Worn K&H spindle Q
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:56 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
1967 Dart non power KH Disk, tubular upper control arm utilizing large ball joint, and small bolt pattern 14 inch rally wheel.

Today I finally figured out why I can't get the front end from feeling loose; the inner wheel baring has a bit of slop between spindle and inner race. Both sides are effected.

Last year I replaced front wheel baring's, followed torque instructions to set to zero run-out per FSM still had some looseness, so tightened nut a bit to snug bearing up, messed around several times and still couldn't tighten it up. I never looked the car all winter until today after driving it a few miles the other day thinking this car is a sloppy mess, and got to the bottom of the problem.

Is there a way to shim between spindle and race, or do I need to locate new spindles?

I currently have small bolt pattern wheels with KH disk spindles that have been reamed to accept the large ball joint. I have located a spindle seller claims to fit A, B, & C body; see here.

Would that part work with KH disk?

Or, do I have to locate used parts due to KH incomparability with Bendix or whatever the B & C cars used for disk brake manufacture?

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:09 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If you look at the wheel bearings used you'll see that the KH are different from the late spindles to which you linked.

How much clearance do have between the spindle and bearing race? Are the spindles smooth where the bearing races meet the spindle? I'm wondering if you got the right bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You might want to spend some time in this noisy-but-informative thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:19 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Josh:
Quote:
If you look at the wheel bearings used you'll see that the KH are different from the late spindles to which you linked.

That is what I suspected. I recall KH disks or drum brakes for that matter were not used on B & C cars, but Bendix or some other major brand which I thought likely used a different baring.

I didn't mic the spindle where the race rides and compare it to ID of race; dumb on my part. But holding race and bearing with fingers I could get a wee bit of rocking vertical movement which is multiplied by much larger diameter of tire when the assembly is all together.

Baring race is snug on spindle sliding it into place just before its final resting place at which point is becomes a little loose. This is the inner baring that is bottomed out at butt end of casting.

Shortly after posting I retorqued spindle nut, backed off one notch of lock nut per factory instructions and reattached brake caliper, and tire. Tire now when manhandled at 12 & 6 has no movement or metallic clunk sound as before, then made the same adjustment to other side. I fear that there is too much force applied by outer nut that may cause baring to heat up.

The bearings currently installed are made by National a division of Federal Mogul; part numbers A-2 & A-6.

Quote:
Are the spindles smooth where the bearing races meet the spindle?

Yes nice and smooth and no sigh of over heating.

Bearing races in hub are real snug required a good deal of tapping to remove and install.

Dan I didn't quite get the hub repair spray on stuff, Belzona, can it be used on a spindle than chucked up in a lathe turned to correct size as well?

Bill

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
wjajr wrote:
Dan I didn't quite get the hub repair spray on stuff, Belzona, can it be used on a spindle than chucked up in a lathe turned to correct size as well?

I vividly imagine it can. It's a family of very-heavy-duty, epoxy-metal compounds (think JB Weld on steroids) intended for permanent repair of all kinds of metal structures and machines. (Spray-on...? Go back and read the linked threads and its sublinks again...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:32 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
I have used Belzona and it most definitely isn't sprayed on. :wink:

This would be an interesting use of it for sure. When cured, in my experience, it is very gritty and has a texture to it. You would need to have it machined or sanded down somehow to a smooth surface for sure. If you decide to do this, please keep us informed of the result.

Brian

74 Duster, 225, rear-mounted blow through turbo at 12psi boost, street/strip car
"Sixy Beast"