Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:26 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1983 Dodge D150 slant six 4 speed OD
I’m working on a cart for summit racing and I’m seeing that there are multiple sizes of drums listed for my truck, some 10”, some 11”, and some 12” and it seems that way at every parts store. I measured the backing plate with the wheel on and it measured in at approx 12” in full diameter but I haven’t pulled the weeks off to check the drum size officially, but I thought if anyone knew, that would be great! I’ve seen most info online leads me to believe they are 11” drums. Would anyone have any idea?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:43 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I'd just pull the wheel to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:50 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

That’s what I’ll do tonight. The brakes a whining in the back which means it’s a stuck parking brake or something like that and I’m not sure when the last time the brakes were done, so it’s time to change them out. I’ve never changed drum brakes, only disc brakes so it should be fun. Time to learn! After that, I’ll need to replace the ball joints and front bushings and shocks all around because I’m positive those have never been done as well. I believe they are screw in upper ball joints which I’m not looking forward to :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
screw in upper ball joints

that is what my 83 D150 has, and actually they were not too bad to work with.
Get the right size socket, a heavy duty breaker bar and about a 4 foot length of
pipe to increase your leverage, Be sure to take the ball joints out while the upper
A arms are attached to the truck.

Dodge had at least two different axel packages for the 83 D150's. Something like a 3200 LB axel
and a 3600 LB axel. On mine the front rotor and wheel seal as well as the rear brake shoes are
what shows as the 'optional' brake components in the auto store parts catalogue.

So you don't make multiple trips to the parts store, take one side apart and haul the worn components

to the store with you, for comparison with the new parts. Another thing I do when working on drum brakes is to

take apart one side at a time. Then if I have a question on where something goes for re assembly, I just need to

look at the other side of the truck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

DadTruck wrote:
Quote:
screw in upper ball joints

that is what my 83 D150 has, and actually they were not too bad to work with.
Get the right size socket, a heavy duty breaker bar and about a 4 foot length of
pipe to increase your leverage, Be sure to take the ball joints out while the upper
A arms are attached to the truck.

Dodge had at least two different axel packages for the 83 D150's. Something like a 3200 LB axel
and a 3600 LB axel. On mine the front rotor and wheel seal as well as the rear brake shoes are
what shows as the 'optional' brake components in the auto store parts catalogue.

So you don't make multiple trips to the parts store, take one side apart and haul the worn components

to the store with you, for comparison with the new parts. Another thing I do when working on drum brakes is to

take apart one side at a time. Then if I have a question on where something goes for re assembly, I just need to

look at the other side of the truck.

I took one of the rear drums off tonight to peek at what size I’d need and the internal diameter of the drum is 11” so that answers that question. Now just to figure out what wheel cylinders to buy and all the matching parts. Should be a weekend job. I’m pretty sure nothing has been done to the truck over the years and a lot of parts are still original and worn out. Just trying to get everything in decent working order. I may order pst front end rebuild kit since it has all the “polygraphite bushings”.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:56 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Can you actually feel wear and slop or are you just replacing due to age?
Just because something is old doesn't mean it needs to be replaced.
Might just need to be cleaned, greased, and adjusted.
Depends more on the usage and maintenance the truck has had.

I have a '76 and a '78 Dodge truck still running the original components with no issues. the '76 does just fine with the original drive train, the 78 is getting a big block just for fun. They get driven regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

bboogieart wrote:
Can you actually feel wear and slop or are you just replacing due to age?
Just because something is old doesn't mean it needs to be replaced.
Might just need to be cleaned, greased, and adjusted.
Depends more on the usage and maintenance the truck has had.

I have a '76 and a '78 Dodge truck still running the original components with no issues. the '76 does just fine with the original drive train, the 78 is getting a big block just for fun. They get driven regularly.

Oh yeah, it’s all original components and all the bushings are dry rotted for sure. I’m going to do a full suspension and brake overhaul.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
Interesting that your D150 has the 11 in. drums. My '82 has 10 x2.5 in. drums. I wonder if that was an option on the 2wd slant trucks? I'd guess that the V8 D150's got the 11 x 2 in. standard and the D250 got the 12 x 3.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:51 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

hank2 wrote:
Interesting that your D150 has the 11 in. drums. My '82 has 10 x2.5 in. drums. I wonder if that was an option on the 2wd slant trucks? I'd guess that the V8 D150's got the 11 x 2 in. standard and the D250 got the 12 x 3.

I haven’t installed them yet but when I pulled off one of the old ones, they had an 11” inner diameter in the drum. I guess it’s possible that the drums could have been swapped at the point or it was an option when the truck was ordered. But here’s what I measured when I popped one of the old ones off.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
I'm sure that your 11 in. drums were original. My '82 is about bare bones. Essentially a Miser with a 30 gal. tank and power steering. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't use the common 11 in. rear brakes on any pickup as a minimum. They were widely used for a long time on all sorts of Chrysler vehicles. Good luck with the truck refreshing.