Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:30 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Lou, I just saw your tip in wjajr's thread about the 16" Ford wheels, and it got me thinking. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find 17" wheels with 5x4.5" bolt pattern and near-zero offset?

We've been running high-offset 17" alloy wheels from a late-90s Chrysler on the Race Dart to accommodate an extra-wide rear axle. We run something like 1.5" spacers in the front so we can use the same wheels on all four corners. I've always kinda hated these wheels, but they were cheap and fairly light.

Now we've got this 8.75" A-body rear end we plan to build up and install in the Race Dart. That means we'll either need to switch to wheels with more neutral backspacing, or buy yet another set of thick billet spacers just to continue using these wheels I hate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Summit has search filters that you can use to see what's out there.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Ford stuff that is 5 on 4.5, Mustang, Escape, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, I am sure there are more. If going with a late model for d rim direct to a mopar Big bolt Pattern Hub you will need to clearance the inner hub of the wheel maybe .5mm. or something like that... with those wheel adapters you would not need that step.

Most of these will have the +20mm off set or more. I am not sue that you are going to find a modern wheel from a scrap yard with less or 0 offset.. Those were for old cars.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I use the Ford stuff. Offset is not bad, and I think less than your wheels... Not-too-thick spacers needed.

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I did a little research using this excellent website and learned a couple interesting things. Note that if you search for a specific vehicle, the results in bold are for the OEM options. The others are "possible upgrades," although I can't vouch for the accuracy.

First (assuming that website is correct), the wheels I've been running on my Lemons car are actually 5x114.3 (5x4.5"), not 5x115 as I'd originally thought. I've been telling people for years that you can run those bolt patterns interchangeably without major issue. While that still may be true (only 0.35mm different on the radius), I can no longer say it with the same confidence.

Second, the wheels I run are 17x7" with a 43mm offset. That's a little less than I'd thought, but I only ever eyeballed it with a tape measure. The Ford wheels Lou recommends are 17x8" with a 30mm offset. An inch wider overall means half an inch wider on both sides, and 13mm less offset means the wheel shifts outboard about half an inch. That means the inner edge of the wheel should end up at almost the same place on the inside, but stick out an inch farther.

Looking at the front end of my '64 Dart (with M-body knuckles and disc brakes), that should work out perfectly if I leave my existing 1.5" thick spacers on. The inner shoulder on the tire has just enough clearance to the upper LCA right now. Since I'm staying with the same 225 width tires, they should stretch a bit and give me a little more clearance. Which is good because I might use some of that room when I put on the extra-tall upper ball joints I picked up for improved dynamic camber. I have at least an inch to spare on the outside, so I won't need to add fender flares.

For the rear, I'll need to measure the flange to flange width on my existing Jeep 8.25" and compare that to a stock A-body rear end width to determine what spacers I'll need. But I assume I'll be able to pick a spacer that allows use of both the Chrysler and Ford wheels. That saves me from having to upgrade wheels just yet, which is nice. The other bonus is that I'm pretty sure the spacer I'll need is wide enough to be a bolt-on unit with its own lugs; that means I can also make it an adapter and not have to re-drill these small bolt-pattern 8.75" axles I have.