Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Vacuum Connection
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:03 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
HI I am trying to get my air pre heater to work with my carter bbd super six conversion. I have an upper and lower vacuum connection on the back of the carb facing the fire wall but when connected to the air cleaner neither would pull the door closed to the air intake.
I connected the vacuum line to the intake manifold with a T and with the engine warm i took off the air cleaner tom and covered the hole in the vacuum control with my finger. The door closed right away.
So is my air pre heater system connected and working corectly?
Thanks Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Any Carter BBD made for a 1970 or newer vehicle will have the correct fitting for the thermostatic air cleaner. Take a look at the photo below; I've drawn a red arrow to the correct vacuum nipple for the thermostatic air cleaner hose:

If you don't get vacuum at this fitting, then you've probably got the wrong carburetor base gasket and you'll have other running problems as well. The hose that connects to this fitting runs to one nipple on the thermo sensor (round flying-saucer looking thing in the bottom of the air cleaner base; the hose nipples protrude downward through the floor of the cleaner base). Another hose then runs from the other thermo sensor nipple to the vacuum flap actuator.

Post subject: Vacuum connection
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:40 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Great, that is just what I needed a picture :) I'll have to look at the base plate and see why I am not getting any vacuum , I think I saved the origonal to compare. Can I run it this way for a little while and not hurt anything? Thanks Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
If it runs, sure, run it—but if it is in fact the wrong base gasket (to manifold) causing the lack of vacuum at that fitting, then other important parts of the carb are also missing vacuum they need to work properly...