Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:57 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Forgive me if there is a better section for this, but since it's in the engine bay, here it is:

I finally got the A/C lines and compressor set up in my Dart. It has a Classic Auto Air system in the cab, which I am far from impressed with. The compressor, mount, lines, etc., are all custom under the hood. This was necessary in order to clear the exhaust and intake stuff.

Here's a pic. Can't seem to get it to embed correctly...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/aIiBrJjffbEDpmRRKOdPzCl6j5VS_hx2ADf0_KmZUF4=w1273-h717-no

After I took this, I lengthened the compressor tensioner to work and secured the two A/C lines to the fender. Now I need to pull vacuum, fill it, and find a belt that fits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:08 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Nice work (when I was able to focus on it…kept getting distracted by the air cleaner).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:32 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks Dan!

Anybody else reading this have any tips on evacuating and filling the system? I see a cheap gauge set at Harbor Freight, and I think I know a guy with a vacuum pump. I made sure all the fittings were pretty tight, but I have no idea how tight they need to be. I'd hate to pay a shop to fill it then have a leak and pay again. Since there is a chance of leaks, I'm more apt to buy the stuff to do it myself just in case... but I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
The main thing, is read the label on the can of R134a carefully. Make sure there is no sealer in it. Just pure R134a.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge Dart 270
The best way to test the system is to pressurize it with nitrogen. Pull a vacuum to around 500 microns. Then weigh the charge in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:13 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Brian wrote:
The best way to test the system is to pressurize it with nitrogen. Pull a vacuum to around 500 microns. Then weigh the charge in.

True, but how many DIY'ers have nitrogen, and a micron vacuum pump?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:38 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You can rent nitrogen tanks from a welding gas supply for cheap I imagine. Fittings may be an issue.

Argon/CO2 mig mix probably isn't a good idea, CO2 is supposed to have higher moisture right? What about straight argon TIG mix? You can borrow my TIG tank if need be.

Last edited by Pierre on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I do not recommend DIY air conditioning charge-up unless you well and truly know what you're doing and have the correct tools (all of them) for the job. It's way too easy to injure yourself and/or plant the seeds for eventual destruction of the system (insufficient vacuum/condensibles and contaminants remaining in system, improper oil charge, refrigerant undercharge, refrigerant overcharge, etc). False economy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:25 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks for all the input. I agree it may not be the best idea to do it myself. Weirdly, though, I do have access to all the tools, including the pump. Still, I'm weighing my options here before I do anything. I doubt I'll get to it right away, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:21 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Well, after a lot of work the Dart has A/C. Sort of. The heater core is currently bypassed because the water valve supplied by Classic Auto Air is closer to a tube than a valve. I've had so many issues with their parts and instructions I guess I shouldn't be surprised. At least this time they are sending me a new one free of charge.

Without hot water in the core all the time, it blows nice cold air and works pretty well. I do wish it had separate normal/max functions. It only works in the recirculate (max) mode. I guess that's OK, but it speaks to the universal nature of the stuff they're selling, regardless of their "perfect fit" claim (which is a total joke by the way).

Just a word of warning to those looking at A/C: Classic Auto Air stuff may work, but I'm really REALLY unimpressed with their quality, tech support, and instructions.