Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:25 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi all, I'm currently working with a guy on the east coast on producing a alloy 2bbl intake based on the iron intake. I cant get my hands on a m1 mopar intake to use as a starting point but slow and steady works. He is not sure if making this intake is worth the trouble so I'm here to ask for slant 6er's to help me convice him. togather we are collecting complete super six set ups air cleaner, carb, intake(iron), carb linkage, exhaust manifold, and auto tranny linkage. We are not selling them on e bay and this forum is the only place that now knows of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:04 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
look I hope you all know I'm not on here to make millions but sense mopar cut out the slant six we are all suckin wind. If someone want a set up cool but to have a place that you can buy a "new" intake and not worry if the one you bought for ebay is cracked. And did I tell you guys....i get nothing if he makes these intakes, zero, zip, nada! I'm in it for the cause! :mrgreen: I still have a 1bbl on my 74 2dr ht scamp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:06 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
What would be the cost of a final intake? I just picked up a cast iron Super Six intake for $12. A person can also modify a stock one barrel intake pretty cheaply too. I think the market would be better for the kickdown linkage, but if you can't beat Lokar's $60 price tag it may be a losing propasition.

Unless you do something more exotic than just a standard two barrel intake, the wieght savings of aluminium over cast iron alone probably isn't going to be worth it to the average slant six owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:22 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
hey great reply. Well I dont know for sure but the cost will be less if the demand show a need for the parts. they do(I belive?) have thier own foundry they make intakes for old hemis. If even I have to come up with the buck for the castings they might make it. If it moves good enought then other intaks could follow. The point is he needs to see the demand factor not for price mark ups but for the general market stand point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:42 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Was there ever a factory 1 piece (not welded) 2bbl alum intake for the slant. I know there were 1 piece 1bbl on feather dusters and the later trucks, but I've never seen the 2bbl that wasn't welded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:46 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ibelive the only one is the m-1 intake from the late 90's. that was a one peice item if i remember correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:52 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Im interested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:00 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I really think Reed's right; it's not difficult or expensive enough to buy a factory 2bbl intake, and the M1 unit wasn't sufficiently different from the factory units, for a repro to be sufficiently interesting to enough people to make it cost-effective.

Now, if someone would offer a perfect repro of the Penìn manifold from Argentina, that would be worth throwing money into the ring for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:48 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Wow, that Penìn is awsome. But isn't the orientation of the carb 90° off what the BBD is?
I think I'm with Dan. If you can repro this, I want one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 pm 

Car Model:
Yep, it's a parallel-oriented rather than perpendicular-oriented setup. Makes adaptation of the 1bbl throttle and kickdown linkage much easier, facilitates the inclusion of a plenum divider, and should promote more even mixture distribution than the perpendicular design. There is said to be quite a bit of magic in that Penìn design. Argentina-Slantsixer's trying to get hold of one to repro down in Argentina, and I hope he's successful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:36 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Yep, it's a parallel-oriented rather than perpendicular-oriented setup. Makes adaptation of the 1bbl throttle and kickdown linkage much easier, facilitates the inclusion of a plenum divider, and should promote more even mixture distribution than the perpendicular design. There is said to be quite a bit of magic in that Penìn design. Argentina-Slantsixer's trying to get hold of one to repro down in Argentina, and I hope he's successful!

yep, there are "magical" :lol:

no success so far in getting one. The guy I told you refuses more or less courteously everytime I get on his back to buy it. I think I'm going the burglary way soon :D

Penin intakes HAD a plenum divider wall. So a perfect repro should have it too.

I think that a real cool manifold would be a good aluminium casting, with a large flat raised area so you can machine to use whatever carb you feel like using. I'd buy THAT.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:17 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
hey everyone this is what I am talking about. If this is the intake(penin) you want and every body will get on board with this it might happen. The only problem I guess is getting our/my hands on one to have a buck made like it. There is also the the fact that we as a group cant test and change the intake and have it made the way we want it. hey argentina-slantsixer if you can find it or just get the specs i can try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:43 am 
Supercharged

Hmmmm. I didn't see much special about the design of that Penin intake besides the parallel throttle bores and the plenum divider. The shape looked pretty near stock. Why not use a standard one barrel intake as a starting point and just modify the molds to change the orientation of the throttle bores and add a plenum divider?

Hmmmm. I have a couple extra one barrel intakes laying around. This gives me an idea for a new home-made intake project.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:04 pm 

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
Hmmmm. I didn't see much special about the design of that Penin intake besides the parallel throttle bores and the plenum divider.

Problem with stuff like this is that a lot of what makes the difference between design "A" and design "B" cannot be seen by casual observation — especially not when what we're casually observing is a scan of a halftone of an economically-printed 30-year-old photograph. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:41 pm 
Supercharged

True, true. But I STILL have an idea...