Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Air/Smog pump removal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:08 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
So, I've got my /6 LeBaron up and running fairly well now, and I'm on to a few other things...

I was eyeing up my air/smog pump today and remembering that when I removed it from my 5th Ave I could actually feel the difference. (Is my engine rated for 90 instead of 100 HP because of that thing?) I note three connections - the hose drawing air from the exhaust, a hose running in to the engine block or head at the rear of the engine, and a vacuum hose.

Since it is pumping air in to the engine at this point, would removing it cause a problem? In addition, the vacuum hose running from it bothers me...as does my rat's nest of other vacuum lines. I would love to weed out all of those lines - unfortunately, my vacuum hose diagram has been damaged and it's difficult to interpret what's running to what and there SO MANY LINES that it's hard to figure it out by just looking.

It's a 1980 /6, 1 bbl Holley 1945 - anyone happen to have the appropriate diagram and/or advice? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Voyonyx wrote:
I was eyeing up my air/smog pump today and remembering that when I removed it from my 5th Ave I could actually feel the difference.

Psychological effects/power of suggestion. The air pump exerts almost no load on the engine under any conditions. Most of the time it takes less power to turn than the alternator.

Quote:
(Is my engine rated for 90 instead of 100 HP because of that thing?)

No.

Quote:
Since it is pumping air in to the engine at this point, would removing it cause a problem?

Greatly increased exhaust toxicity and cooked catalytic converter(s) if your car is so equipped.

Quote:
In addition, the vacuum hose running from it bothers me.

...? Why?

Quote:
I would love to weed out all of those lines - unfortunately, my vacuum hose diagram has been damaged and it's difficult to interpret what's running to what and there SO MANY LINES that it's hard to figure it out by just looking.

You need(!) a factory service manual.

Post subject: Re: Vacuum Lines
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Do you still haved the Lean Burn system installed? That thing has a forest of vacuum lines scooting every which way, is that what you are talking about? If you do have the Lean Burn installed perhaps you should consider getting rid of it for the Orange Box ignition, etc. There is plenty of information here about that.

As SlantSixDan points out getting rid of the air pump is not a good idea. It mostly huffs air into the exhaust so the catalytic converter can do its thing--you really should leave it be. About the only time you should even notice it is when it makes a racket due to a blown hose, dying pump, or lose belt. If you are in an emissions testing state they will fail you if you yank it (your rig is likely old enough to be exempted anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:38 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hey guys,

I don't appear to have lean burn - I have a rat's nest of vacuum lines, but a standard ignition ECU. I also have a diagnostic connector on the driver's side fender.
Quite frankly, lean burn would have LESS vacuum lines. I see why they created it now.

I don't have a cat, and the car is indeed exempt in NYS. Considering that I'm going to be fitting an oxyhydrogen system to the car, I'm not incredibly concerned about emissions or the related equipment, as a proper HHO system cuts emissions by an incredible amount (it negates the need for a cat, and then some).

Part of it is my psychological yearning for more power ( :P ) and part of it is me wanting to clean house - a nice clean minimalist engine compartment would be nice.

...and that about it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:43 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Actually that "forest" of vacuum lines, has more to do with EGR valve control than the Lean burn; vacuum "amplifier", which I believe is a vacuum "reservoir"; I can't see how on an engine that pulls, say 18" on a vacuum gauge, that amplifier could increase that gauge reading; you'd need some sort of a vacuum "pump" as on a diesel to do that. ) Also various solenoids depending on year that tie into the LB electrically, and coolant temp sensors all work to try to pinpoint when the EGR valve opens/closes. There are a couple of those lines that pertain to the air pump too. I do admit to filing alot of these parts in the trash on most cars Ive ever owned!

Post subject: Interesting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:49 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well, if you have no cat and no emissions burden then game is afoot. Sounds like the usual smogged carburator fun and games. A good service manual would help no doubt in figurng out what goes on with the vacuum hoses. Perhaps you might consider getting a performance carb in there to help clean up the hose mess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:23 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I think the "Smog carb" would allow you more options for ad ons like his HHO system,etc. Just think of all the possible places you could hook stuff up. :D :D :D
Frank
PS The FSM is a GREAT idea.

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:58 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
66aCUDA wrote:
Just think of all the possible places you could hook stuff up. :D :D :D

Lol. The game is indeed afoot. I wasn't planning on tearing things up for no reason ;)

I will be getting a FSM - the only reason I've been dragging my feet on that is that I have the FSM for my '85 5th Ave, which is just about identical (from what I've found thus far) to this car aside from the engine. Wire colors and all!

It does seem to be related to the EGR, now that you've explained it - I saw vacuum lines coming out of my coolant sensor and went WTF? ...lol.

I will be doing a 2bbl on some manifold or another - I like the "wood" one...is that being manufactured yet? The cleanup would be to make things cleaner and easier to work on for the time being - not to mention the fact that 20 extra vacuum hoses present 20 extra points at which something can go wrong. When I can reach out and move around like 8 vacuum lines with two fingers, it's a bit much ;).

My plans are this so far:

Streamline engine compartment
HHO System
KYB GR-2 Shocks
Sway Bars front and rear
Hi Po Coil, good wires, orange box ECU, and Pulstar plugs
Dutra Duals with X pipe and Flowmaster muffler
Some kind of 2bbl with some kind of manifold

And of course, some miscellaneous body work and interior fun.

I love this car - it's about half a ton lighter than my 5th Ave, and I swear because of that the /6 motivates it just as well as the 318 did there. Handles great as is too, even with the rear shocks shot :)

I always wanted a black two door LeBaron - I'm a happy camper.

Post subject: Vacuum Hose fun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:19 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Sounds like fun for you then. I spent a chunk of a day deep sixing all the mouse gnawed non-operational Lean Burn stuff on my truck and I was stunned by just how much crap I threw away. I read the manual three times just to be sure--sounds like your vacuum hose mess will be similiar. Once you have all that sorted out you might be surprised by the improvements (assuming it isn't all functioning so well in its current state). My Slant Six is bone stock, with 37K original miles on it (a 1982 D-150), everytime I put a new part on it I am shocked by the "performance" upgrade. My wife will even drive it now (shhhhhh, don't let my Dad know). Getting a functional carburetor on it wowed me, ha, ha. I pulled a dead baby mouse out of the vacuum hose "nest", shook my head, and swapped in a Super Six manifold into it with a Weber 32/36 DGEV. I like what it does.

I would suggest you clean up what you have and get it in a good state of tune. That should be your baseline for tweaking it. Check off on the brakes and steering and make certain they function as designed. If the ignition is ok then the intake manifold is probably your next step. I picked up a Super Six for $50 on E-bay, it included the exhaust manifold (so now I have a spare or a core for a Dutra Dual). Shipping was $50 on that--and I happily paid the $100. Otherwise you can get a four barrel manifold for more money--but don't disrespect a two barrel, they can and do perform well on smaller displacement rigs like the Slant.

Post subject: Re: Vacuum Hose fun
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: D150
tlrol wrote:
Sounds like fun for you then. I spent a chunk of a day deep sixing all the mouse gnawed non-operational Lean Burn stuff on my truck and I was stunned by just how much crap I threw away. I read the manual three times just to be sure--sounds like your vacuum hose mess will be similiar. Once you have all that sorted out you might be surprised by the improvements (assuming it isn't all functioning so well in its current state). My Slant Six is bone stock, with 37K original miles on it (a 1982 D-150), everytime I put a new part on it I am shocked by the "performance" upgrade. My wife will even drive it now (shhhhhh, don't let my Dad know). Getting a functional carburetor on it wowed me, ha, ha. I pulled a dead baby mouse out of the vacuum hose "nest", shook my head, and swapped in a Super Six manifold into it with a Weber 32/36 DGEV. I like what it does.

I would suggest you clean up what you have and get it in a good state of tune. That should be your baseline for tweaking it. Check off on the brakes and steering and make certain they function as designed. If the ignition is ok then the intake manifold is probably your next step. I picked up a Super Six for $50 on E-bay, it included the exhaust manifold (so now I have a spare or a core for a Dutra Dual). Shipping was $50 on that--and I happily paid the $100. Otherwise you can get a four barrel manifold for more money--but don't disrespect a two barrel, they can and do perform well on smaller displacement rigs like the Slant.

Have any under good picks you could share? ..i'm aiming to do something similar on my 87 w 59k miles, ...but don't want to screw anything up. Currently gets 17mpg but it's slow.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Check the date on that post... I don't think I've seen that member post anything in almost a decade...and has moved on to other
adventures...