Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: EGR removal
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I've read some threads, and service articles regarding removal of the EGR. However before I do this I want to double check. I made a block plate for the egr, manufactured from aluminum and will use a felpro EGR gasket. Im going to remove the "hockey puck" and plug the line into the Intake manifold, as well as into the carb. I'm wondering what exactly to do with the line off the manifold that runs into the "check valve". Can i remove the whole system off of the firewall or should I just plug it with a rubber vacuum plug. Am I missing anything here, or does this all sound okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Which line with check valve...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:17 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Typo, it runs from the "puck" to the check valve on the firewall, located next to the orifice spark advance control. When I remove the "puck" do I simply plug the nipple on the check valve, or should I remove the whole thing. I don't plan on disposing of any of the pieces, and I don't want to remove anything that I don't need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:18 pm 

Car Model:
You're safe to remove and plug-off all connections that originally went to the puck, the EGR valve, and the thermal vacuum controls in between. Also, bypass the OSAC valve if you haven't already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:09 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I removed the EGR system. All that I took off was the EGR valve, replaced with a new machined piece. Also, the puck with the 4 hoses attached. So that's a total of just two items. Also, I capped the carburetor and intake nipple. Just making sure I got it all. Lastly, I noticed a capped vacuum nipple on the driver side of the carb. Also, on the air-cleaner there are two nipples, one leads right back into the filter, and I know that it has to do with the heated air. The 2nd nipple next to it has no hose. I assume that there is supposed to be a hose running from the driver-side of the carb to the air-cleaner. Any corrections would be appreciated. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:25 pm 

Car Model:
What year is your car, and which carburetor are you running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
1973...it as a holley 1920 on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:55 pm 

Car Model:
The capped fitting about 3/4 of the way up the passenger side of the carb is (was) the EGR venturi vacuum tap. Make sure it's capped nice and tightly with no leak. The thermostatic air cleaner hose does need to go to the manifold vacuum fitting on the driver's side.