Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
I'll consider using a Chinese carburetor-shaped trinket the day I decide I want my car to burn down.

Your call. Your car, your barbeque! They are a reputable company, if they strip, check and guarantee them and I had a person I can speak to with any issues I’d be curious to try them. They stand by their product.Like I said, I have NOS as preference, but they will dry up...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:20 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hi Everyone,

recently had a carb issue on my 65 cuda. Would crank and crank but not fire. Add fuel directly into the carb with air cleaner removed and the engine runs fine. Ordered the carb kit from http://www.daytonaparts.com (thanks SlantSixDan) and while getting ready to install it found that an opening in the bottom of the bowl was "plugged" with a pin and epoxy on the outside? Pic attached, See 6:00 position).

Is this a common occurrence with these carbs? is there a better way to patch this hole? Braze maybe? Set screw?

Thanks!

Attachments:
image1_low_res.jpeg
image1_low_res.jpeg [ 29.18 KiB | Viewed 5660 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:51 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
That hole isn't meant to be plugged. It's supposed to be there, and open. That's the breather hole for the back side of the accelerator pump diaphragm. All that passes through it is air.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:50 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks SlantSixDan. You've helped so much on my car! It's clear that I'm a new at this Carb rebuild job. As mentioned, I have the kit from your recommended source. I downloaded the manual at the link you've posted. Anything else to watch out for during the rebuild of these carbs?

I am also tackling the exhaust manifold gasket with the Remflex 6008 gasket. Manufacturer recommends 5-7 foot-lbs to get the 50% crush. Seems really light torque, does that level of torque last in your experience?

Thank you again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:33 pm 

Car Model:
You're welcome! Yup, follow that torque recommendation. Stock gaskets use only 10 lb·ft, and the Remflex gaskets are a lot softer and thicker, so they use less. Resist the temptation to use more "just to be sure"; that's the wrong thing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:48 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Will do... thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: VALIANT SIGNET
I've got a leaky idle adjustment screw, is it just to far out or do I need a cork/rubber gasket to fix this? Idles just fine. May be a dumb question,but I'll own it as there is no mention of such in the 1920 manual,but they sell these universal gaskets at the local parts store(s).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:02 pm 

Car Model:
There is nothing such as an idle needle gasket. I've sealed loose/sloppy idle needles with teflon tape on the threads. Not an officially correct procedure, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:26 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks Dan, I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:43 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
this needs to be made a "sticky"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:19 pm 
1 BBL (New)

As I've seen in this thread remanufactured carbs are usually a step in the wrong direction, and for good reasons. The carb I have (other than the annoying leaky bowl I plan to fix with a doubled or thicker gasket )works ok for now. Considering the fact that the 1920 Holley is becoming more obsolete I'm thinking about getting one(remanufactured, for when not if mine wears out), at least I would have a shot at a diy rebuild if it doesn't work properly. The biggest concern at this point is in the picture I've attached; is it a minor casting flaw or crack? Any thoughts?

Attachments:
0409201230a_Burst01-1.jpg
0409201230a_Burst01-1.jpg [ 48.26 KiB | Viewed 4873 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:41 pm 

Car Model:
Crack or flaw, that carb has been sandblasted, which means the passivation coating is gone, which means it will sooner than later be a useless lump of powdery white "metal mould" corrosion.

One cannot undo the badness of "remanufacturing" by taking the carb back apart and putting a kit in it. :-(