Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:52 am 
Well I bought an induction timing gun. 54 bucks.
Anyway I hooked it up and the timing mark on the pully was at about the 10 o'clock position. about 3-4 inches to the left in relation to the "0" mark. Where about should the timing mark be? I thought it was supposed to be at 5 degrees btdc? So I think that would relate to about 30 degrees btdc. The reason I am checking it is the gas milage is crap after I did the electronic upgrade. and it seems to be missing like crazy at idle, but Power is improved and I don't notice any knocking.
Any advice is appreciated.

Also just to make sure, if the notch is to the passenger side of the "0" thats before right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:33 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Here's a link to a thread on the MMC forum that might help as far as the timing:
http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/show ... hreadid=25

I haven't done the conversion on the Dart yet, so I'm pretty ignorant on the finer points (no pun intended) of the system, but hopefully this might help you a bit.

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject: before?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:03 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes, as your standing in front of the car looking at the grille, the engine turns clockwise. So, if the notch is to the passenger side of the "0", that is advanced, or before TDC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:41 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Is your gun a dial back? you can get a true reading that way. Otherwise your timing indicator plate should go to 10* +/- TDC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:20 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Clark Cortez
Been a while since anyone's added to this thread but thought I'd ask which gun folks would suggest. Looking on Amazon there are 4 guns from Innova (using as an example and not a recommendation):

Inductive $50
Advance $84
Digital $118
Digital Pro $150

I've currently got on order the basic inductive since my timing mark has >10 +/- degrees on it so should be fine for my needs. However, I don't have a tach so I'm very tempted to move up to the Digital Pro model which includes built-in tach functionality. Wondering what others have used and if they have any suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I used to have the digital version until it got stolen. It really made checking timing easy
since tach and dial back was at the push of a button...

No matter which way you lean, you need to use a dial back timing light so you can check
overall advance... literally full mechanical advance can be up to 30 degrees + your static timing...
and vacuum advance can be another 17-22 degrees beyond that when it is all in...

10 is great for setting your initial... the real money is what happens at rpms when you are in traffic
and on the highway... and if anything is stuck or broken and not giving you your correct timing.

The pro version would be nice if you have points since it also has a dwell meter...