Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I agree with Reed's recommendation: Full fluid drain (including draining the torque converter), new filter, adjust the bands and linkage correctly, save yourself a bunch of hassle now and later and install the rigid triple-seal pan gasket (see part numbers here) and fill with a reputable brand of fluid.

Which fluid? The (objectively) best Torqueflite-compatible trans fluid on the market until recently was Chrysler Mopar ATF+4. It is misunderstood by some to be "too slippery". In fact, ATF+4 is a significantly better fluid in every way than Dexron -II, -III, or -IV and ATF+ (+2, +3), and it does not cause, promote, or aggravate slippage. It maintains the specified viscosity across a temperature range that's wider at both the hot and cold ends, its lubrication and antiwear properties are better, it's more resistant to oxidation, sludging and varnish formation, and it smells better. It might even taste better, I don't know. There's an extremely detailed Chrysler Engineering paper comparing every aspect (except taste) of ATF+4 vs. ATF+3, ATF+2, ATF+, and Dexron-III/IV.

Then along came GM's Dexron-VI, which is another extremely high performance fluid (where "performance" refers to all the things a trans fluid has to do...lubricate both metal-and-metal and metal-on-friction without screwing up the frictional elements' ability to grab and keep hold of the metal, remain stable when cold and when hot, resist foaming, resist oxidation, etc).

The RWD Torqueflites really don't need anything more exotic than a good-quality ordinary Dexron (present spec is the newest Dexron VI, though you might still find some older or off-brand Dexron IIIe or other previous Dexrons on the market). I do run ATF+4 in mine, and they all seem happy with it. But the main point here is you really don't need to sweat it. You don't need to spend unnecessary money on exotic-brand fluids or special "race" fluid.

Some people advocate using Type F, an old Ford fluid. Fact is, Type-F is an archaic fluid with seriously inferior performance by just about every measure. Torqueflites will hold up fine with Type-F, which is mostly an illustration of how rugged the Torqueflite is. There are much funner ways of demonstrating that a Torqueflite is robustly enough engineered to withstand abuse than to use an (objectively) inferior fluid.

I also agree with Reed's suggestion to add part-throttle kickdown with parts from Pat Blais.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:00 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle
Reed wrote:
If nothing is needed, then the most I would do is a band adjustment, change the fluid and filter, and fill it up with fresh ATF+4. But then again, if nothing is needed, don't touch it!

Hey Reed,
Would love to all that you recommend, but at this point in time, the budget is in shortfall. Am going to be severely strained to afford to just insure, license, and get Lorrie inspected. And with Summer here, that adds another $100.00 a month drain on the economy for air conditioning.

Quote:
If you do open it up, I highly recommend a TransGo shift kit. Very easy to install, and it has wonderful results.

Maybe someday...

Quote:
Alternatively, if you still have the original 1967 A-904 in there, I highly recommend adding part-throttle kickdown.

Actually Reed, the warranty tag says that Lorrie has an A727 Transmission.

Quote:
Pat Blaise can sell you all the parts you need to add it to your valve body.

Again, maybe someday.

Quote:
I put a link to his eBay store in the "Slanted Network" forum.

Alright.

So ATF+4 is an Automatic Transmission Fluid, not an additive.

Just wanted you to know that Lorrie will probably be driven only about 100 miles a month.

Don't get out much... Just around town to do shopping and errands.

There IS a once a month trip to Livingston, Texas for stuff that can't be had here in Onalaska, like cat food, and vitamin supplements, and etc.

There are no Auto Parts Stores here, so if something for the vehicles is needed, it's off to Livingston where there is a NAPA, O'Reilly's, and AutoZone.

Fortunately, I have a VERY nice neighbor who can pick up stuff for Lorrie or Ms. American in Livingston on the way home from work.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. They are VERY much appreciated.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:08 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

SlantSixDan wrote:
I agree with Reed's recommendation: Full fluid drain (including draining the torque converter), new filter, adjust the bands and linkage correctly, save yourself a bunch of hassle now and later and install the rigid triple-seal pan gasket (see part numbers here) and fill with a reputable brand of fluid. I also agree with Reed's suggestion to add part-throttle kickdown with parts from Pat Blais.

Hey Daniel,
As I told Reed: Maybe someday.

Wish the funds were available to do all this. It's just that things are really tight at this time of year because of the heat and the necessary air conditioning.

Am hoping Lorrie will be just fine for what little driving she will get.

Anyway, thanks again for the GREAT information. It is VERY much appreciated.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I hear you about the tight funds. Fortunately, the kickdown and low/reverse band adjustments can be done from outside the transmission.

I also hear you about the heat. I was born and raised in Alaska and anything hotter than 65 is too hot for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:21 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
I hear you about the tight funds.

Hey Reed,
Have been able to average spending about $100.00 a month on fixing the vehicles.

Have come to realize that there are three factors in this "hobby". 1. Funding.

2. Physical Energy and Ability.

And 3. The weather.

Sometimes parts, equipment, and materials have to be saved up for. So much is done that doesn't take parts, equipment, or materials, like cleaning and and stuff that the equipment to do it is already on hand.

Have reached the age of seventy-three, and don't have the physical stamina that was available earlier in life. So things are, of necessity, taken at a more leisurely pace, and for shorter amounts of time, with lots of breaks.

Plus, recovery from exertion takes longer.

BUT, were it not for the activity of working on Lorrie, the ability to do it would slowly wane, and then all this would not be able to be done.

The weather is a BIG factor. Nothing gets done while it's raining, too cold, too hot, or too humid.

So working within the these three parameters, a project such as Lorrie has taken two and a half years, where if by some miracle, like winning the LOTTO, funding would not be a problem, weather would not be a problem because a shop could be had, and the physical energy and stamina could be extended by hiring some help to do things.

BUT, that would take all this out of the realm of being a hobby, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Fortunately, the kickdown and low/reverse band adjustments can be done from outside the transmission.

Will look into this.

Quote:
I also hear you about the heat. I was born and raised in Alaska and anything hotter than 65 is too hot for me.

65 degrees happens only for a few weeks out of the year here, or at night for a few months out of the year.

One of the BIG factors here is the humidity.

When it gets to be in the upper 90s, and the breeze is from the Gulf of Mexico to the South of here, and the forest is respiring, the humidity can reach 100% without it raining.

That is just brutal because being outside is like being in a sauna. One sweats, but the sweat doesn't evaporate to cool. The only thing that can be done is to stay inside where there's air conditioning to remove the moisture from the air, and fans to move the it around.

Anyway, was going to go to Livingston today, but the weather guessers are now saying that it isn't going to rain on Monday. So am going to go then.

Thanks for the response.

Hope YOU are well.

JC