Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:30 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1965 Valiant 200
Hello, I'm looking for some engine pictures, original O.E. look or close to it, for a 65 Valiant with a 225. I just bought this 200 model and the engine is in dire need of cleaning and painting. I am hoping to restore it's "look" under the hood to as close to original as possible so any and all pictures and info would be greatly appreciated. I'm especially looking for the proper colours that things like the engine mounts, alternator bracket, power steering pump, etc. I don't know what was painted Chrysler corporate blue, and what was black to any other colours they may have used.
P.S. this is a Canadian 200 model and from what I have learned in the 5 days I have owned it, is, in Canada they used the front grill and rear tail lights from the U.S. Dart 270 model.
Ill post some pictures soon.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:55 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
cadee wrote:
Hello, I'm looking for some engine pictures, original O.E. look or close to it, for a 65 Valiant with a 225. I just bought this 200 model and the engine is in dire need of cleaning and painting. I am hoping to restore it's "look" under the hood to as close to original as possible
See here, which applies to your Canadian car except the air cleaner would be gloss black rather than satin. For all the parts described as red, that is correct if your car has a 225 engine. If you have the 170 engine, instead of red you need the turquoise that was used on US engines in '69 only (which was also used on some big-block V8s, so it is readily available.

Quote:
I don't know what was painted Chrysler corporate blue
Nothing on your car; that colour didn't exist until '70.

See correct Canadian-type decals for under the hood here. I no longer have them; send a PM to @Michael on this board (this guy) and see if he still has them.

Quote:
this is a Canadian 200 model and from what I have learned in the 5 days I have owned it, is, in Canada they used the front grill and rear tail lights from the U.S. Dart 270 model.
That's not quite so; the Dart grille and taillights would not fit the US Valiant body. The Canadian '65 V200 and Custom 200 models used the '65 Dodge Dart body entire, front to back, complete with its 111" wheelbase. The Canadian '65 V100 and Custom 100 models used the same 106" wheelbase body as the US Valiant, but all Canadian '65 Valiants used the US Dart dashboard and instrument cluster.

Be aware there are some electrical and mechanical differences between a Canadian and a US '65 Valiant. Don't expect to be able to buy a starter motor easily that actually works on your car, and don't let go of the one you have. Distributor parts (rotor, breaker points) are different. Your car might have the carburetor anti-ice system which these days is best bypassed.

As soon as you can, get the three books listed in this thread. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post. Also read this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:12 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1965 Valiant 200
Thanks very much for the very detailed info Slant Six Dan. I will be viewing the links you suggested. Glad I asked about the colour because I was ready to buy the corporate blue!