Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: exhaust manifold
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Can I use an early 60s exhaust manifold on my 76 head. I was given a drool tube head with both manifolds and am thinking of upgrading to dutras when I do the trans swap in my truck. I just don't know the compatibility between the two types of heads. I believe the drool tube manifold is a '64 model and was broke and repaired once already. Seems like a good candidate for me to break out the nickel rods and do some cast welding.

Post subject: Re: exhaust manifold
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I've had limited success welding manifolds. I drilled a 1/8" hole at each end of the crack, ground a beveled edge into it, and heated it cherry red with a torch. Then I laid the frap to it with a welder and let it cool on its own. The weld held up for 2 years, and probably longer but I sold the car so I don't know. I've heard others who are much better welders than me say it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:19 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
The manifold does not have a crack in it, sorry for the confusion. I want to know if an early 60's exhaust manifold will bolt up to a '76 head without problems. Planning to put dutras on this truck to help with performance. If I have to pull the original manifold and cut it up for this, I will but it would be nice to have a practice piece to test with (welding cast). Is there a rebuild kit for the flap that deflects the exhaust to help warm the carb? If not what would be the best process to make or clean up the the mechanism?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:11 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
There should be no compatibility issue with the early and late exh manifolds. If you are trying to use the stock choke opening/stove, then those may be different. Bolting up to the head will be exactly the same.

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:59 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks for the info on compatibility. Now I can get to cutting up that old manifold and get to some practice welding. Been a long time since I have had any real cast welding "fun".

Did not mean the choke stove on the repair though, I was talking about the baffle in the exhaust manifold that is situated under the carb. How is it rebuilt/fixed/lubricated to ensure it works. This old manifold has been sitting for a while and when I get it put on, I want it to work well.

I have also read about opening up the manifold for a 2 1/4" exhaust. Is that achieved with a die grinder and a carbide burr? Just wondering if there is another way? (easier)

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There used to be manifold heat control valve repair kits containing all the parts needed to rebuild the valve. They have been unavailable for years now, and NOS units are expensive enough that it's better to just buy a complete new manifold. Don't bypass or otherwise disable the valve; it serves a very useful purpose no matter where you live (hot, cold, whatever).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:28 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks Dan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:48 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
My '64 is running a manifold from a '62 on a '76 engine. It seems to work fine.

The heat control valve was frozen when I got it, but eventually yielded to a combination of heat, cold, and Chrysler's heat control valve solvent (part number 4318 039AC).

More discussion

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO