Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:03 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Hesston 6550 swather
Hi all, I have a Hesston 6550 swather with a Chrysler H 225 industrial engine. I think it was built in the 80s, but not sure. I'm looking for the outer pulley on the crankshaft. The only thing I can find stamped on the pulley is a D. I can't find this pulley in any farm equipment salvage yards, so thought I'd check with you all here. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:26 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Can you post a picture of the old one? Industrial slants had many different damper/pulleys, depending on what accessories were driven off the crank.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Typically the John Deere version got the cast 3 groove damper. They will show up on ebay or if you still have the
original you can send it to damper doctor or damper dudes to be rebuilt...I have also seen these on various
late model D-150 slant six trucks over the years...

FYI since all slants are neutral crank balanced you can swap any balancer and pulley combination off another era
slant six (car, truck, generator, etc...), just be aware that the timing mark may not line up if using say a 1960's
damper and a 1970-1980's timing cover...

In a pinch since the swather isn't running or typically using 1 of the 3 grooves, you could use a damper off
another car/truck slant six as long as it has the outer power steering pulley bolted to it and the inner air
conditioner pulley bolted to the back side if all 3 grooves are needed.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
I have a couple of these.

Where are you? One will likely fit one of those priority flat rate envelopes, or the flat rate box.

Attachment:
Pulley 1.jpg
Pulley 1.jpg [ 308.52 KiB | Viewed 3524 times ]

CJ

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:19 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Hesston 6550 swather
I can't seem to upload a photo, but the one that Ceej has in his photo is very close, except the center hole on mine is bigger. I believe I need the larger hole so the pulley can fit over the bolt that holds the balancer and the other pulley to the end of the crankshaft. Maybe this was just used for the industrial version?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
The one pictured came off an '82 swather. The center hole in the one pictured is 1-3/8", and fits flush to the harmonic balancer when installed. The washer and bolt clamp the assembled pulley and two belt groove balancer to the crank.
Most slants don't have a bolt holding the balancer to the crank. Many industrials did have the bolt. For something that spends it's life coated in dirt, mud and chaff, it's nice to have a bolt in there to keep the threads clean. It's not really there to hold the balancer on, rather to keep the grit out.

I've never heard of a slant throwing a balancer. The outer ring, yes, the whole balancer, no. I bring this up because you can put the bolt on over the pulley face, torque it down, and it will serve it's purpose with no issues.

CJ

PS: Make sure your photos are small enough. The site doesn't allow mega-byte size photos. Keep it to a couple hundred K, and you'll be fine!