Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Carter BBD's on Fleabay
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:11 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Are these useable? Or simply made in China junk? Thinking about a replacement for my Holley 2280.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/158-NEW-CARBUR ... 0974235652

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Well, my first concern is that that is a V-8 carb. The PCV valve and choke linkage are wrong, the choke is more serious because it won't work with a stock choke thermostat. My second concern is yes, it is made in China. I would hold out for an old BBD that might need throttle shaft rebushing but is otherwise serviceable.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:17 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
Well, my first concern is that that is a V-8 carb. The PCV valve and choke linkage are wrong, the choke is more serious because it won't work with a stock choke thermostat. My second concern is yes, it is made in China. I would hold out for an old BBD that might need throttle shaft rebushing but is otherwise serviceable.

Thanks, Reed. My choke linkage was modified to work with those NOS Holley 2280's for V8's that were available a few years back. Unsure if the modification will work with the Carter? The 2280 still works fine, but I have to use carb cleaner through the jets every month or so. Would like a new carb and use the 2280 for a backup / rebuild.

I think it might be time to go through my entire engine, But there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
The same adapter for the 2280 will work for the BBD. A thought- have you replaced all the rubber fuel line with fuel injection 30R9 rated hose? If you are still running old rubber fuel line it will dissolve in modern gasoline formulations. This might be why your jets are fouling so often. Fuel filter in good shape?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hmm... I replaced the fuel line from fuel pump to filter and from fuel filter to carb, over the valve cover with fuel injector hose. I didn't replace the lines before the fuel pump. Did replace fuel filter recently.

Maybe it's a lack of use thing? I try to start it every week but sometimes forget for a few weeks. I haven't actually driven it for awhile, aside from moving in and out of the garage, lol. Maybe just gummed up fuel in the jets? I pour new fuel into the tank every few months.

Time to drive it and work out all the issues as I go. Have a leaking rad too, and a re-cored rad ready to go in.