Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:38 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1960 Valiant V200
The Lil Bastard is apparently for sale.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/wi ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:52 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I know we all love the Slant Six but this project was 'not such a great idea' from the start. Of all the places to employ a Slant, an RX7 ain't one of 'em. This reminds me of those cars you see in Cuba where they are so desperate for parts they will install any engine in any car. Well...if anyone wants to buy this project, I will commit to not offering any competition in that pursuit!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
To each, his own.
I love creative swaps and would take that in a heartbeat if I had room for another one (and it was closer :lol: ).

Hope it goes to a good home where all the hard work invested so far will be appreciated and the project completed.

"A mechanic is Somebody."
- Jim Preston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: Toad Wagon
I get that.

It'd be embarrassing to reveal how many projects I've abandoned over the years once I ascertained that they were do-able. Far too many times it turned out that the engineering part'd been my primary attraction, and once that was satisfied ...... :roll:

Still endure a variation of it in my float work. I swear I'd love building'em whether there was a parade or not. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:09 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I'd be tempted if I had the time and space for another project... and it wasn't in Manitoba. I love oddball swaps, and this would make a phenomenal Lemons car in particular.

He's already done most of the hard work; I think he just got stuck trying to fit the clutch hardware into the available space. It may still need a radiator and a custom driveshaft, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:14 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I think it’s cool.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:08 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That's perfect for Lemons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
GregCon wrote:
I know we all love the Slant Six but this project was 'not such a great idea' from the start. Of all the places to employ a Slant, an RX7 ain't one of 'em.

I wondered that for several reasons, but hey... everyone has a right to try something unusual. Many think about it, but few ever actually do it. I can let my inspiration live vicariously, by absorbing build threads like this one. All while wishing I had more time and space to play and tinker.

I'm actually quite impressed at how far back the engine is placed, even if it did require major surgery. And the hood even closes! Nice job on that aspect. Hanging that motor in front of the front axle would have created a handling nightmare, among other problems.

One thing a potential buyer will need to consider is legality. In the US, it's considered "tampering" to swap engines unless you end up with a drivetrain that is at least as new as the chassis, with all certified emissions equipment functional. Many states don't police it very much, but for example California takes it to extremes -- as near as I can tell, even swapping a rubber hose in the engine compartment could be worthy of a fine or imprisonment. Well, that's an exaggeration, but not by much!

The Federal EPA document is here for as long as it still remains. Given our current administration's gutting of anything the EPA is trying to accomplish, I'm slightly surprised that this hasn't been abandoned... but I suppose the gearheads don't present as much demand (or voting significance) as the fossil fuel industry lobbyists. Yikes, where did I get so cynical? :roll:

All in all, the RX-7 is intriguing. I hope the next owner picks up the challenge. Would be interesting to see the result when done.

- Erik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Yeah...here in TX it's very unlikely anyone would care that the engine is older than the car. But from what the multitudes who live in Kalifornia tell me, it's pretty bleak out there. As for the EPA being gutted, they could use a little gutting from time to time. It's a bureaucracy run amok....a lot of people seeking to building a career and gain power out of it when that's not the purpose.

As for some previous comments that an RX7 is a classic....they might qualify based on being 25 years old but otherwise? There's a guy near me who has 20+ of them sitting in his yard. Some look to be in pretty nice shape still and I don't see any lines forming to buy any of them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:24 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1955 Dodge Truck
ianmcc wrote:
The Lil Bastard is apparently for sale.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/wi ... nFlag=true

Hey I call "Fake News"....lol
Hey all sorry for such a late post.
Yes the Lil Bastard got sold.
I became sidetracked with many other life items and had to let this one go.
A qualifier, tgis car was a parts car without a Rotary engine and was destined for scrap.
So i thought a Slant fired RX7 would be Rad.
Car was sold, my slant6 and A833 were pulled and it is in my shop at the moment.
Again sorry for the delay in response, and I apologize for aborting the project. I do not like great starting and poor finishers. The car is now defined for a 350 SBC...lol