Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Valve lash
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ok I must not have set the lash correctly on my valves. My lash needs to be .019 for intake and exhaust. Can someone give me a quick and easy lesson on how to set these on a cold engine. Thanks as I get older I tend to forget these type of things. This is on a race motor with roller rockers.

Post subject: Re: Valve lash
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:10 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: D150
This is a bit late for the original poster, but may help others with a similar question.

Presumably the .019 lash number was retrieved from either the Cam manufacturer or the vehicle service manual, and the assumption is for flat tappet solid lifters. Adjusting the lash is the same process for roller rockers and standard rockers.

The basic steps:

Make sure that the push-rods are seated correctly in the lifters and the rocker arm seats.

Install the adjusting nut by tightening the nut “finger tight” to the point where the push-rod has zero lash, but will still spin with your fingers. Repeat this process until all push-rods are seated and all rocker arms are installed.

Set the lash, one cylinder at a time, in the correct firing order. Make sure that the dampener bolt is installed in the crankshaft, turn the engine over by hand in the direction of its normal rotation.

Starting at zero lash, you adjust the intake valve by loosening the adjusting nut until you feel some lash on the rocker arm. Then you can set the lash on the valves by the specs listed in your camshaft spec card that came with the camshaft or service manual. Spin the intake rocker nut down with the correct thickness feeler gauge inserted between the valve stem and the tip of the rocker arm. Tighten the adjusting nut until there’s a slight drag when moving the feeler gauge. Do not over-tighten or you will risk damage to the camshaft.

As a note, just find that sweet spot where your car runs the best and back it off just a bit. That increases durability a lot and takes almost nothing away from the power.

Happy lashing!