Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1969 Plymouth Barracuda
I have a 1969 barracuda which bogs upon hard acceleration.

Amoungst the myriad of things I need to try to solve this problem I figured it can't possibly hurt to rebuild my possibly almost 50 year old carburator. So I figured out what I have and started looking for kits.

I have the Holley 1920 and the first problem that causes me is the numerous different kits available due to different versions of the 1920. Worse than that is that a large number of tô how to directions I've encountered all say the something like this. "You should always replace the floats whenever you rebuild a carburator... unless you have one of these because they haven't made the floats in 30 years."

So my question is, what's a reasonable carb to replace this with. I don't need an $1100 800cfm 4 bbl monster. It would be nice to get some slightly better performance but right now I'll settle for something cheap that will help me ensure I do t stall when the light turns green. Its going to be my daily driver but my daily drive is < 2 miles up and down a hill so something with a bit more guts and lower mileage won't kill my pocketbook.

If I've understood what I've read (including some wonderful posts here) what I need is about 290cfm. It's obviously a 1bbl but does that mean I need to replace it with a 1 or is there a reason to go to 2?

Just in case I haven't understood things properly some more details.

69 barracuda
225 engine
Torqflight904
Currently has a Holley 1920(don't know the sub model but I can figure it out)
I don't know if it's the original engine that came in that car or not but along with the car I got receipts for all sorts of things including a rear end and none are for an engine so I suspect that it is.
Engine has what appears to be original blue paint if that helps.

I'm customizing not restoring so I'm happy to run literally anything that I can work on and buy parts for i don't actually care what they came with I want to know what I should replace it with. I'm also cheap and not in a hurry so happy to cruise junk yards I just don't know what to look for. It's just gotten difficult to find information on carbs that isn't for racing these days. Not as many suckers like me who want to drive one every day.

Really looking forward to getting this thing tooling around town instead of sputtering about every time I touch the throttle.

-Aaron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I think it would be worth trying to rebuild what you have before you buy a new carb. Maybe somebody on this board has an extra float on the shelf. These are good engines to learn on, and you'll spend less money if it works.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 pm 
1 BBL (New)

I'm perfectly happy with old and you just described the reason I bought this car in the first place. There are just far fewer parts on this engine than stuff made in the past 30 years or so.

I'm just looking for old but I can find parts for it. ^_^

A quick search for the carter BBD turns up floats. But I know there were dozens of versions of that so I have no idea how to ensure I get the right cfm or if those floats would work on a model appropriate for my engine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:46 am 
1 BBL (New)

Well digging around more it looks like I might be able to find floats for this old beast. Which now makes it more desirable than the carter. I believe the 1920 only has two variations?

Still interested in potential upgrade options.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Define "upgrade"? What is your intended use? It might be that a one barrel carb is optimal for your application. A common upgrde is to change to a two barrel carburetor using the factory "Super Six" intake manifold, carburetor, air cleaner, kickdown linkage, and upgrade the exhaust to 2 1/4 inches. If you have a daily driver then this is just about all you need to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:45 pm 
1 BBL (New)

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Something that might give slightly more peppy performance without requiring new ignition, can, and more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
OK- see here: http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am 
1 BBL (New)

So it turns out I can’t find floats for my Holley. I found one of the heavier 12.5 gram floats but mine takes the 7.5 which I haven’t been able to put my hands on.

Even more reason to go the super six upgrade route. Thanks again for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1964 Dodge Dart 170
I think I read that the early model year floats were the light weight and the later year floats were the heavier 12.5 gram. I also remember reading somewhere that the 12.5 gram floats can be used in either application and will work.
Sadly I cannot remember what source it was located in... I am going by memory from reading forums and from reading original carb documentation.

Good luck,

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:04 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Interesting, I'll dig around a bit and look for that. At $50 + shipping for the one I found it's a bit to pricey for me to just give it a try. ^_^

Thanks