Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1974 Clark forklift
Been reading on here for a while and decided to join to see if I could get some help. I've got a 225 slant six in my 1974 clark forklift. Its nothing special, I just rebuilt it bored .020 over and some port polishing on the head. Did the HEI conversion quite a while ago with a 4 pin hei module and reluctor element distributor. Also GM 1 wire conversion. Its been having intermittent misses when running over the last 7 years but not as bad as lately. I just change the plugs about every 4 months. Recently it lost spark and instead of troubleshooting the hei I would like to find out what the best hei box for my setup would be. I have heard of the 6al and someone also recommended a pertronix one also. Usually I go with Accel stuff but I'm willing to try anything that will work. Its also running a single barrel intake with a manual choke holley 1904 that is also giving me fits. The compression check yields 140 at least on the first crank and they all are around 140 to 150 by 3 cranks so the engine rebuild I did is good. Any help is appreciated, I need to get this 15,000 anchor in my shop moving sometime. I can get pictures if they help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:50 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
best hei box

I had two Mallory 4 pin HEI modules quit, one after a bout 1000 miles and one after about 5000.
The first one was an intermitent no start when the motor was warm.
The second one was a sudden and complete no start.

I have about 8000 miles on a genuine AC Delco 4 pin module and so far all is good.

So if you have a no start due to ignition, try a known good genuine AC Delco HEI module

I would not think that a CD box would be necessary on a forklift,,,

if there is an intermittent miss, that you attribute to ignition, I would

1) verify the low side wiring and the high side wiring ( spark plug wires - coil - distributor cap - rotor) is beyond dispute.
Proper gauge wiring, no loose connections, no worn-cut wire insulation, no high resistance...

2) inside the distributor, check the gap from the coil to the reluctor, should be about .006 IIRC, use a non magnetic
feeler gauge. Pull the distributor and check to see if excessive shaft - distributor wear is allowing the coil pick up to
bounce against the reluctor.

3) if that is all good, swap out the HEI module

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1974 Clark forklift
I need to get my slant 6 up and running so I ordered a carter bbd 2 barrel, for a 318, off ebay. I know its probably a Chinese made one but its got to be better than my holley 1904. Any tuning tips will be appreciated. The holley has been leaking gas for a while and it think the floats not set right. Also think the shafts are worn pretty good as I have been running it on half choke for a while now. There's almost nothing going to the 1904 and I have checked everywhere for vacuum leaks. I have 2 spare intakes so I'm going to modify one to run parallel to the runners like some others have. It will fit my linkages better I hope. Still thinking about the cdi box cause I would like to limit the rpm to below 2500. There is a hydraulic pump direct drive off the harmonic balancer that doesn't like high rpm's. For now I just ordered a HEI module though to try and get me back up and running.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:32 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
If you need to limit RPM I would just build a throttle stop.