Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:59 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
While I am interested in this project, there is no way I would spend $10K. I want a better head as much as the next high performance gear head, but I can't see that. Is it 10K across all that have interest or 10K each? And then we have to purchase the head? Maybe I am not reading this right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:51 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
3D printing and CNC machined chunks of aluminum are the future of this hobby.

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:01 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I am a no unless I can throw in $10. I will go as fast as I can (12's on a iron head). I think this is a neat thing for some but it is just not for me. Hope it works out for you guys! :D :D

PS. I lost 20# when I retired and went to work for Ryan. Another year and another 20# and I'll be just about where I should be, and it didn't cost a dime! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:45 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
hyper_pak wrote:
While I am interested in this project, there is no way I would spend $10K. I want a better head as much as the next high performance gear head, but I can't see that. Is it 10K across all that have interest or 10K each? And then we have to purchase the head? Maybe I am not reading this right.

My thinking was the money would be best spent/invested in getting a tried and true established manufacturer to do the project with guidance from the investors., ie seed money. If no one is willing to compromise on the design goals, nothing has a chance of happening. I also thought, "if you build it, they will buy it, if you don't build it, nobody will ever buy it."

I don't see why it would not be at least a break even investment, with even the chance or earning a return.

The head in this thread, is a very old design, with some obvious issues, hidden ones are yet to be discovered, and offers no upsides other then weight, and bragging rights IMO.

I consider the weight savings a big plus, over the front axle, and at the top of the motor, on cars that tend to be light in the first place.

I'd seriously consider this venture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
HEMI

:mrgreen:

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well, based on the of amount of perceived interest, guess I'm rolling over my CD's. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:09 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
emsvitil wrote:
HEMI

:mrgreen:

Oh just stop.....lol....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1960 Plymouth
The '59 head has been sold; it's off to a very good home. Thank you.

If someone with with the time, skills, and means wants to spearhead the development of a new head - something with a nice thick deck, updated combustion chambers, decent as-cast ports, big valves, etc - I would invest. I understand what it take$, and I would be a part of it.

Shooting for the moon, i.e. cross-flow, hemi, etc - seems silly at this point. I see the project as a bolt-on deal that needs to be within reachable means of the enthusiast.

If you're serious and qualified, connect with me via PM. Dart270, I sent you a message. Thanks..

Last edited by Oneida Garage on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:18 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Edelbrock is the ideal company to do this. They have everything it takes. Except perhaps the inclination.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:10 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
These motors have the same bore spacing as a slant six. You could model after this antique head - at least its a hemi, relocate the head stud locations to match the slant six. They aren't a bad design considering how old it is, the valves are large for the 3.43 inch bore (4.17 stroke). I believe the most the 3.8 produced was 265 hp, but that was likely optimistic. Even an exact copy of the OEM slant six head would be spendy, and it wouldn't be a hemi. The workmanship on these castings isn't the best.

I don't know if a one-off could be made by relocating the head stud locations. Its been awhile since I saw one of these at a pick-n-pull. I laid a slant six head gasket over the Jaguar block and the bores matched, but the stud locations were different - I believe the Jaguar bolt pattern was narrower. I think the slant six bolt pattern would just about touch the valve cover gasket flange, but it might be doable. If the Jag head could have new holes bored and a tube pressed in and welded, maybe it could bolt to a slant six block. Or a new boss for the head studs could be welded in - its alloy.

My Junk E-Type Engine Part 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOWp41dvTP8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Tim Keith wrote:
These motors have the same bore spacing as a slant six. You could model after this antique head - at least its a hemi, relocate the head stud locations to match the slant six. They aren't a bad design considering how old it is, the valves are large for the 3.43 inch bore (4.17 stroke). I believe the most the 3.8 produced was 265 hp, but that was likely optimistic. Even an exact copy of the OEM slant six head would be spendy, and it wouldn't be a hemi. The workmanship on these castings isn't the best.

I don't know if a one-off could be made by relocating the head stud locations. Its been awhile since I saw one of these at a pick-n-pull. I laid a slant six head gasket over the Jaguar block and the bores matched, but the stud locations were different - I believe the Jaguar bolt pattern was narrower. I think the slant six bolt pattern would just about touch the valve cover gasket flange, but it might be doable. If the Jag head could have new holes bored and a tube pressed in and welded, maybe it could bolt to a slant six block. Or a new boss for the head studs could be welded in - its alloy. The head studs are under the valley rather than under the valve covers.

Last edited by Tim Keith on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:55 pm 
Board Sponsor

Tim Keith wrote:

I don't know if a one-off could be made by relocating the head stud locations. Its been awhile since I saw one of these at a pick-n-pull. I laid a slant six head gasket over the Jaguar block and the bores matched, but the stud locations were different - I believe the Jaguar bolt pattern was narrower. I think the slant six bolt pattern would just about touch the valve cover gasket flange, but it might be doable. If the Jag head could have new holes bored and a tube pressed in and welded, maybe it could bolt to a slant six block. Or a new boss for the head studs could be welded in - its alloy. The head studs are under the valley rather than under the valve covers.

At 13:30 you can see the big valves

Last edited by Tim Keith on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Just for fun, I contacted Edelbrock to ask if they just might be working up an aluminum head for the Slant Six. I warned them that if they weren't, I might just have to buy from one of their competitors - that usually gets the trick done.

Their reply, "At this time we have no plans to start producing cylinder heads for the Mopar Slant Six."

I'm thinking this is an intentionally misleading statement, since we all know the Slant Six uses only ONE head, not plural....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:33 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
GregCon wrote:
Just for fun, I contacted Edelbrock to ask if they just might be working up an aluminum head for the Slant Six. I warned them that if they weren't, I might just have to buy from one of their competitors - that usually gets the trick done.

Their reply, "At this time we have no plans to start producing cylinder heads for the Mopar Slant Six."

I'm thinking this is an intentionally misleading statement, since we all know the Slant Six uses only ONE head, not plural....

I think they need to SELL more than ONE. Plural. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:49 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

I guess I'll remind them that the greatest oak starts out as an acorn.... :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next