Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Uncle Tony's Garage
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:04 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I found an entertaining YouTube channel called Uncle Tony's Garage. He is currently on part 8 of a slant six rebuild. I just finished reading Mr. Dutra's book on rebuilding the /6 and Tony contradicts Doug on reversing the offset on pistons. Doug says don't and Tony says do. I don't know enough to say who's right. Doug has a lot of experience with racing the /6 and it sounds like Tony has a lot of experience racing everything else. Meh, maybe a slight advantage to Doug on this. At any rate if nothing else it is interesting to see the process and parts.
Search YouTube for "Wrenching Classic Cars- Homestyle Engine Rebuild Part" for the rebuild series or "Uncle Tony's Garage" for his channel.
He isn't a brilliant communicator/educator but he is entertaining and I think there are gems of information to be found in his videos. He also inspired me to get back to work on my Valiant so that alone has great value for me.
What YouTube channels do you all like or recommend. Specifically Slant Six related videos obviously. I wish Mr. Dutra would do some videos. All I've found of him was a REALLY old interview and some of him racing.
I also found via a video from this forum mymopartv YouTube channel that has a boat load of vintage Mopar promotional & technician training videos.

Post subject: Re: Uncle Tony's Garage
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
We've discussed "Uncle Tony" here. He admits to not being a slant six expert and has built only a couple and makes plenty of unfounded assertions in his videos. For me it's a maddening mix of true, maybe true and falsehoods. I replied to one of his videos, but it's not worth any more of my time than what I'm doing here to combat his misinformation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
We all have an uncle no one talks about...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:34 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Actually uncle tony says to not reverse the pistons on a stock rebuild. And that it is dubious for a performance build up. The rebuild series is actually quite good. I would recommend it to newbys that have never done a basic rebuild.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:13 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Rembrant wrote:
I found an entertaining YouTube channel called Uncle Tony's Garage.

Eeeyeah. Well, if you're looking for entertainment, there's plenty of it to be found in the random noise on YouTube.

If you're looking for reliable information on what works when building a Slant-6, do what Doug says. It's really that simple. I don't mean to say he's the only subject matter expert—there are others, good ones, here on this board—but there's decades of proof that Doug knows what he's doing and knows what he's talking about. That stands in almost complete contrast to the dillweed you found on YouTube, whose video contains numerous errors of fact and basic misunderstandings of operational principles.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:45 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I suspected I would get a reaction. I should have expected name calling but didn't. How about some alternatives? I'm an old noob. I am too poor/cheap to pay someone to do the work. Plus I have received the usual mix of quality when I have paid professionals to do the work. So I am surfing the net in search of good information. Text is helpful but a picture is worth a thousand words and video is better still. I am going to rebuild my carburetor. I took a carburetor class a long time ago so I understand how they work. But theory isn't the same as experience. I picked up some specifics for the actual carburetor I have on Mikes Carburetors videos and I supported him by buying one of his kits even though the video was in many ways horrendous. I kind of wonder, will I now hear that Mikes Carburetors sucks too and his kits are junk as well?
Sigh.
It is true that Tony said leave the pistons on a stock build.
I am also going to stand by my opinion that his video on the slant six rebuild is useful. Even if it is just to see what is inside and how it goes together. I also find him entertaining even when I disagree with or am skeptical of things he has to say.

Vista is in Northern San Diego County.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
UTG has a good work ethic. It is not easy to produce as many videos as he puts out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Rembrant wrote:
I suspected I would get a reaction. I should have expected name calling but didn't...

I just reread this whole discussion and completely missed where anyone called Tony a name. I used "Uncle Tony" as that's not his legal name. We have pointed out that there are numerous factual errors in his videos, but I don't see where anyone used disparaging terms. We like it cleaner and more factual here. Can we agree to that?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:45 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Joshie225 wrote:
Rembrant wrote:
I suspected I would get a reaction. I should have expected name calling but didn't...

I just reread this whole discussion and completely missed where anyone called Tony a name.

Perhaps re read the SSD post.The use of the term “the putz you found on YouTube ” was likely the name calling he referred to. Fair enough really. Everyone has an opinion, no need for name calling is there? The definition below seems pretty uncalled for in my book just because of a difference in opinion on a slant six engine build.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Putz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:25 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Oh dear me…I didn't mean to offend sensitivities by saying the dirty, dirty P-word! I'm so ashamed…! :oops: I guess I just kinda figured that because Tony calls himself something like "White Punk On Meth" on the other board, and has no qualm about running his mouth without first checking his facts, and since a fair number of others also take a dim view of his "information", that calling him a p*tz wouldn't, y'know, be such a big deal. I've edited my post to remove the offending word, and I do hope all who were offended will find it in their hearts to forgive me, maybe one day.

As pennance, I offer the original poster this collection of resources:

Hi-perf engine buildup here, high-perf parts and build info here. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Get the three books listed in this thread.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I called Uncle Tony a toolbag. The decision on the field stands.

As for switching pistons around, he would hate my good motor. 3 pistons are in frontways, and 3 backwards. That's what I had to do to get the valve reliefs in the proper orientation. :lol: :lol:

If you have Doug's book, by all means watch Uncle Baloney, but in areas where he disputes what Doug says, follow Doug.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:58 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
It’s OK guys, I’m sure uncle Tony isn’t too concerned. In reality it says more about the inadequacies of the person doing the name calling than much else. Well I’ve dropped in for my six monthly look see .... Later

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:56 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
No offence taken SSD. It is just I am over attacking the person instead of the idea. I suspect my sensitivity to it goes back to politics, not to mention comments on most websites. Both ends of the political spectrum do it and I have reached my limit with it.
Slantzilla you just want to annoy everyone don't you? :wink:
Carb kit came in. Replacement float in hand (thanks SSD) Time to bust some knuckles. Wish me luck.

Vista is in Northern San Diego County.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
UTG is a man who repairs and restores '60s and '70s Mopars for paying customers. He considered the slant six to be one of the best workhorse motors that was ever built, but his customers want V8s and that's what the UTG channel will mostly present. Post war Mopar V8s are the bread of butter of his business model. Its okay with me that UTG isn't interested in the minutia of building slant six hot rods. There is room on Youtube for a channel that focuses on slant six hot rods, but it probably won't be a working business model. I find UTG to be more interesting than Scotty Kilmer, and Scotty has 2.6 million subscribers! Take the good and ignore the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:56 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The series is how to do a basic rebuild, stuff that my dad taught me when I was 14. It just happens to be a \6. I learned on a 230 flathead. There are some things that I would do differently. For example, I would put the cam in before the crank. It is easier to guide it in at that time. I would gap all the rings, instead of one and call it good. I would not pay a machine shop $250 to dissemble a cylinder head.

As a side note, this is the second time that I have seen a video where somebody hand lap valves. The other one was some Canadians resurrecting an old Packard and Buick. Is this a thing now? The last time I did that, was on that old 230.
And that was because my dad didn't want to pay for a valve job, and it keep me out of trouble.