Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:23 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1960 Plymouth with a 1981 Dodge D150 Slant Six
I am 18 years old and I am restoring a 1960 Plymouth Station Wagon. The car originally had a slant six, but it was ceased when I got it. So I found a running and driving donor truck, a 1981 Dodge D150 with a freshly rebuilt slant six. I swapped the engine into the station wagon but have not gotten everything hooked up just yet.
I found a vintage Clifford 6=8 intake manifold at a swap meet for $50 and wanted to eventually install it on my motor. I have never tried to hot rod a motor before so I am kind of stumped. So with all that being said I have a few questions:
>What differences in performance will I see if I install these upgrades?
>What kind of carburetor do you guys recommend?
>What kind of headers are recommended?
>Are there any other things that I am going to need to get before I do the swap?

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:21 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Sounds like a cool project. Welcome to the site!

With a stock Slant 6 (internally), you will not see a big gain with headers, but some. If you have the $$, you might get the Dutra Duals from the outfit Aussiespeed, and those work very well on a mild Slant 6 and are easier to deal with on the street than headers. I think gillwelding.com might be a reliable dealer for Aussiespeed parts.

Personally, I would get everything running with the stock intake, carb, exhaust manifold, and then upgrade later. That way you have a running car to play with and you can always try something and then bolt the stock stuff back on if you don't like the modifications.

For a stock Slant using that Clifford intake, I would either use a NOS or known well-rebuilt Carter BBD carb, or I would buy a Holley 350 2bbl carb, or perhaps an Edelbrock 500 4bbl performer carb. Really, the Holley or Edelbrock will not make the car any faster than a good Carter BBD, but they are more readily available if you have $$ to spend. You can buy a 2bbl carb to 4bbl intake adapter from Transdapt or Mr. Gasket for about $20 that will let you bolt the BBD or Holley 2bbl onto that manifold.

Enjoy your project, and we're happy to discuss more,

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:07 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Awesome car. Automatic or manual transmission? I 100% agree with Lou on getting it running well before you start bolting go-fast parts on it. It's a lot easier to diagnose problems that way. How long has it been since the car ran?

Now if the car's stock 1-barrel is beyond help, it might make sense to start with your new intake. (That was a steal at $50, by the way.)

A stock slant six will need quite a bit of internal work before it makes sense to mount a 4-barrel carb on it. I'd pick up a good 2-barrel carb and an adapter plate for that manifold. I like the Holley 2300, which is basically the primary half of a Holley 4-barrel and uses parts that will be readily available for some time. It's a synchronous 2-barrel, i.e. both throttle plates open at the same time. That makes it less efficient for daily driving than a progressive 2-barrel which leaves the secondary closed most of the time, but it is a lot simpler to tune. Keep in mind you'll probably need to replace your gas pedal assembly with a later one that uses a cable (I assume the 1960 cars used a rotating rod linkage). Unless the 2-barrel adapter plate allows you to mount the Holley sideways, in which case you might be able to fabricate a bracket for the stock rod linkage.

There are 350 and 500 cfm versions of the Holley 2300. Even the 350 cfm version is more than a stock slant needs, but it can work just fine until you're ready to dig into the engine itself. We ran one of those on my '64 Dart Lemons car, with an engine running about 8.8 static compression ratio, oversized valves with mild port work, a mid-range camshaft upgrade, and Dutra Duals into a crude Y-pipe. No idea on horsepower numbers, but it ran well up to about 4500 RPM. Probably fast enough to keep up with an older V6 Camry! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:53 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
If it's an automatic did you put the adapter ring in the crank to support the nose of the converter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:40 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
being as how I see you are in Georgia I gotta ask what was wrong with the truck? I didn't think you had the rust issues that we deal with here up north.
I have a /6 in the machine shop to replace the one that I have in my 85 d 150 building up for more power is all
The 85 motor runs like a Swiss watch, odo only shows 97k, (as much sitting as this truck has done I seriously doubt that it has 197k) that i'd offer to you quite reasonable once I get my other one back, just to save the truck you pirated the motor from.

But distance between illinois and Georgia would be a stumbling block

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
In High School I swapped the 1 bbl on my 1974 Duster for a Holley 2300 series 2 bbl on a Super Six intake with a Mr Gasket adapter. I don't know if it was the 350 or 500 CFM version, but it made a nice improvement in power with all else staying stock. If you want more power yet then you start upping the compression, working on the head and changing the cam.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1960 Plymouth with a 1981 Dodge D150 Slant Six
Thanks for the helpful advice. I definitely will get the motor running before I decide to install any speed equipment. I'll probably go with a Holley 2300 2 bbl when I do the upgrade.

To answer some of yalls questions:
> The car is going to have a 3 speed with overdrive floor shift that came out of the truck.
> The station wagon was last tagged in 1983, the truck motor has not run since 2015 (when I removed it).
> I'm using the truck accelerator cable opposed to the 1960 linkage.
> I got the truck from a guy who bought it as a parts car. He just needed the front end, doors and a few other misc. parts, he gave the rest of the truck to me for free.
> If yall want to follow my build check it out on Instagram @cabana_wagon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:52 am 

Car Model:
Sounds like a plan! You will like the truck cable accel linkage and pedal for sure.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:23 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Did you swap the 1960 wagon's oil pan and pick-up tube onto the 81 truck engine, before installing it into the wagon?
DD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:59 pm 
Supercharged

I never got why people always called that trans "3 speed overdrive" 3rd isn't overdrive, 4th is. It's a 4 speed trans.
A "3 speed overdrive" I would think of as a. 3 speed with an added on unit much like a gear vendors type thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:01 pm 
Supercharged

Also onto the question of putting the wagon's pan and oil pump pickup tube on the engine from the truck, if the answer is "yeah I did" then what became of the truck's oil pan and pickup tube? Cuz I could use them if available.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I never got why people always called that trans "3 speed overdrive"

The answer is found in the Manual Transmission section of the 1975-up Factory Manuals where the A-833OD
is referred to as the 3 speed + Overdrive transmission since the 1-2-3 ratios are similar to the A-230 at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:39 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Heck, even the shift knob had 1-2-3-OD.