Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:00 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: '85 D100
I have a 1st gen 225ci slant and I'm having a bugger of a time finding a reputable builder knowledgeable or even interested in rebuilding my tired old motor. I'm located in upstate South Carolina - does anyone know of a good rebuilder in the general area? I've been searching SC, NC, GA and TN but the closer the better, of course.

I've found reman engines from MABBCO and similar companies but I'm a bit scared of them because reviews seem to be less than stellar and prices are sky-high, which shipping cost doesn't help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Never heard of /6s being separated by "gens". Is this the engine from your 85 d100?
That is rather late for the /6 engine though the "how to" is pretty much the same thru the whole run. Or are you referring to the "gen" of that truck?
Something else I never understood. Dodge has made trucks for 63 years before your 1985. I never understood the meaning behind that version being "1st gen" as that would imply that these were the 1st trucks dodge ever created.
What makes you think you need a rebuild? I have a /6 here on a stand that happens to have come out of my own 85 d150 and ran like a swiss watch when removed. Just shy of 100k. I only pulled it because I built another /6 with hopefully "more power" (think.... Tim Taylor on the TV show "home improvement") to replace it.
I'm sure there are others but in that general area of the US, if I needed help I think I'd look up one of 2 or 3 people for guidance .. our own "Dart 270" (north Carolina) maybe Rob Simmons (TN I think) or another guy, mostly on FABO as "Rusty Rat Rod" occasionally on here as "Stroker Scamp" he's out of Macon GA area. Any of these guys could guide you well, as to whether they'd have time or space to build an engine for someone else, I'd have to leave that up to them. Or stay tuned here on the forum, search old posts, and do it yourself, we can all answer questions that may come up.
I'm sure there are other /6 people in the broad area you mentioned, these are just the first that come to mind. All of these are individuals, not "shops". It takes people with a special interest in them, like all of us here on this forum, to be interested in a project like you are asking about.
I am not surprised you are having difficulty finding a regular "shop" to work on such an "old" truck. It's carbureted, has no "ECM" that can be "scanned for codes" so many younger guys would be lost on such a project.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:01 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

volaredon wrote:
Never heard of /6s being separated by "gens". Is this the engine from your 85 d100?
That is rather late for the /6 engine though the "how to" is pretty much the same thru the whole run. Or are you referring to the "gen" of that truck?
Something else I never understood. Dodge has made trucks for 63 years before your 1985. I never understood the meaning behind that version being "1st gen" as that would imply that these were the 1st trucks dodge ever created.
What makes you think you need a rebuild? I have a /6 here on a stand that happens to have come out of my own 85 d150 and ran like a swiss watch when removed. Just shy of 100k. I only pulled it because I built another /6 with hopefully "more power" (think.... Tim Taylor on the TV show "home improvement") to replace it.
I'm sure there are others but in that general area of the US, if I needed help I think I'd look up one of 2 or 3 people for guidance .. our own "Dart 270" (north Carolina) maybe Rob Simmons (TN I think) or another guy, mostly on FABO as "Rusty Rat Rod" occasionally on here as "Stroker Scamp" he's out of Macon GA area. Any of these guys could guide you well, as to whether they'd have time or space to build an engine for someone else, I'd have to leave that up to them. Or stay tuned here on the forum, search old posts, and do it yourself, we can all answer questions that may come up.
I'm sure there are other /6 people in the broad area you mentioned, these are just the first that come to mind. All of these are individuals, not "shops". It takes people with a special interest in them, like all of us here on this forum, to be interested in a project like you are asking about.
I am not surprised you are having difficulty finding a regular "shop" to work on such an "old" truck. It's carbureted, has no "ECM" that can be "scanned for codes" so many younger guys would be lost on such a project.

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, my vehicle is an 85 D100 but the engine is casting number 2463430-14 which dates to 1960-1966. The engine/tranny combo was installed some time ago by a previous owner and the engine requires a rebuild because I believe the lower end has probably never been touched and burns about a quart of oil every 100 miles or so. It runs and drives like a top, but the bottom end needs a refresh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:50 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I have had a few Slant 6 engines (maybe 4?) rebuilt by Terry Walters Engines in Roanoke, VA. Excellent work and fair (not cheap) prices. Yes, good engine shops are getting harder to find.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:10 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Dart270 wrote:
I have had a few Slant 6 engines (maybe 4?) rebuilt by Terry Walters Engines in Roanoke, VA. Excellent work and fair (not cheap) prices. Yes, good engine shops are getting harder to find.

Lou

Thanks for the info! After doing a lot of research and talking to several machinists, mechanics and engine shops I've decided to order Doug Dutra's book and do the disassembly and reassembly myself. There's a few good machinists nearby and they won't take on the full project, but they'll machine individual parts. It'll also save me upwards of $3500 if I do everything but the machine work.

I just got a note from eBay saying my book was just shipped, so thanks to Doug for getting that out so quickly!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:27 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
I can personally recommend Doug’s book. I got a copy during my rebuild nearly four years ago. Using that and input from folks on this message board I was able to complete my first slant six build with confidence. And if you haven’t done so already, check out The Best of Doctor Dodge on the Engine FAQ page.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41326
Good luck with your build.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:59 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

and739 wrote:
I can personally recommend Doug’s book. I got a copy during my rebuild nearly four years ago. Using that and input from folks on this message board I was able to complete my first slant six build with confidence. And if you haven’t done so already, check out The Best of Doctor Dodge on the Engine FAQ page.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41326
Good luck with your build.

Thanks, man! I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:36 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Pictures are good. We like pictures. :)

Post subject: Oversize pistons?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:08 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

We pulled the motor over the past weekend. We found that the engine has already been bored to 060 over and it needs to be cleaned and so needs more boring or a sleeve job. Sleeves would add a significant expense - I've been trying to find if there's any danger going to 070 or 080 over on this block? Anyone have any actual experience with that? If so, where would you recommend I source those pistons, since I assume they'd need to be custom. I called Egge and checked several web sites, but anything more than 060 over isn't stocked anywhere I've found.

Attachments:
IMG_20230205_172404.jpg
IMG_20230205_172404.jpg [ 87.54 KiB | Viewed 1051 times ]
IMG_20230205_151545.jpg
IMG_20230205_151545.jpg [ 101.53 KiB | Viewed 1051 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:32 pm 
Supercharged

Located where? Slants are still pretty readily available, might be better to start fresh with another.
I know where there's one at, and it's even out of an 85 truck. All stock, running engine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:41 am 

Car Model:
What year is the engine? Not sure about '80s cast crank blocks, but anything earlier than 1980 can likely go 0.100 over. Why do you think it needs to be bored? Does it have substantial ring ridges? You might just hone and put in new rings and bearings.

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:47 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Dart270 wrote:
What year is the engine? Not sure about '80s cast crank blocks, but anything earlier than 1980 can likely go 0.100 over. Why do you think it needs to be bored? Does it have substantial ring ridges? You might just hone and put in new rings and bearings.

Lou

My block is an early 60's vintage (3 frost plug design).
It does have a ridge and so needs boring. You mentioned it could go 100 over - what piston manufacturer are you referring me to?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:50 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

volaredon wrote:
Located where? Slants are still pretty readily available, might be better to start fresh with another.
I know where there's one at, and it's even out of an 85 truck. All stock, running engine.

I've been shopping for weeks before I pulled the motor and cores are not easy to come by near me. They're still out there...just not anywhere near me and since I'm in a bit of a time crunch, I need to move forward with what I have since the engine is already out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:46 pm 
Supercharged

Cuz you need one "now" when that isn't the case... But when you aren't looking they are all over the place

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:50 pm 

Car Model:
Right now, you may need custom pistons to go 0.080 - 0.100" over with stock 225 rods. If you use 198 rods (7" long), there are a bunch of off the shelf pistons in 0.084 - 0.105" over.

Lou