Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:26 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
CNC-Dude wrote:
I think if you have some components gathered up and want to give it a try...why not! I can make a spot face tool and test it out on some blocks I have. It wouldn't be a complicated process at all, just talk to a cam grinder and see what they can do....

Thanks for the offer, but at my age, and the number of other things I have going I just can't make it happen. Hopefully this discussion will tickle the fancy of someone else, and they will give it a try.
I think the biggest issue, is finding a cam grinder willing and able to grind an appropriate profile.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
hyper_pak wrote:
Rick Covalt wrote:
Not fitting in the Colt Stan!

You got that right!

I don't have any constraints forward, but with the drive belt, have horizontal constraints. You can buy a drive that places the oil and fuel pumps side by side. Not something I needed, so I didn't take that path.

Keep in mind, I don't have a water pump.

CJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:33 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I have issues forward and sideways!
I have an unground LSM roller cam.
I need roller lifters and the rest of the valve train.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

Everything is custom in the nose bleed seats.
Smith Brothers built custom push-rods to spec. You'll have to measure to your build to get the appropriate length and ends.
Really pay attention to your geometry, and all clearances, spring rates, and coil bind. Based on where the push-rods run, you may need to clearance the push-rod bores.
There is nothing about a slant head that screams performance. It'll need to be very special.

I'm sure you've heard it before, but it needs restating for the new crowd.

In a slant head, wherever you grind, water is close. Don't go hogging away, or you'll be searching for a new head.

Study and search here carefully prior to breaking out the die-grinder. Doug sliced a head with a band saw to illustrate this. The photos are in the articles section someplace.

CJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:55 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
There was a guy at the Indy swap a couple of weeks ago, he had an aluminum block slant as a display piece with a sign on it that he was looking for/6 stuff. As I looked at his swap spot I noticed that he had a few pieces of a cutaway/6 head on display too.
He was the only one who had anything remotely/6 related there that I seen this year. Id seen the pix that Doc has posted back when I did mine but this was the first time I seen something like that that I could see, touch, feel. I wish I'd gotten this guys contact info. I'm wondering if he's on here somewhere, I believe he was out of Michigan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:04 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
volaredon wrote:
There was a guy at the Indy swap a couple of weeks ago, he had an aluminum block slant as a display piece with a sign on it that he was looking for/6 stuff. As I looked at his swap spot I noticed that he had a few pieces of a cutaway/6 head on display too.
He was the only one who had anything remotely/6 related there that I seen this year. Id seen the pix that Doc has posted back when I did mine but this was the first time I seen something like that that I could see, touch, feel. I wish I'd gotten this guys contact info. I'm wondering if he's on here somewhere, I believe he was out of Michigan.

I wish you had gotten his info as well.
If he is looking I am sure there could be some horse trading!
Was it this guy?

Attachments:
Indy Swap Meet 2024 s.jpeg
Indy Swap Meet 2024 s.jpeg [ 41.22 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:29 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The slant 6 pulling tractor engine I bought out of Iowa had mushroom lifters and it came with some new spare lifters in a MoPar box 1972 up logo and colors. They are around somewhere. The cam and lifters went to a guy in Arizona years ago. So mushroom lifters in a slant 6 can be done. Seymour was here when we took the engine apart, he may have some input.

Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:55 am 
SL6 Racer

Car Model:
OK I did have a conversation with Ken at OC yesterday. He said you are correct that with the mushroom lifter you can have a more aggressive cam profile. He also mentioned that with the slant six's .904 lifter he could grind a very aggressive profile. More than what we could use or need. Also, currently none of his vendors that he deals with even offer that type of lifter anymore. He did have 16 used lifters from a big block Mopar is has been sitting on for years.

I've know Ken for a long time and as we ended our conversation, he has kind of chuckling. I asked what was up and he said slant six engines don't turn up 9000 rpm and don't have 560 cubic engines. Which by the way is what his race car has.

Once again..... my 2 cents. OC can make anything we need without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:02 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
I'd say that sourcing a reliable supply of quality lifters is going to be the trick....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
CNC-Dude wrote:
I'd say that sourcing a reliable supply of quality lifters is going to be the trick....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 48&jsn=944
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 8&jsn=1136

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:25 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Charlie what are the face diameters of those lifters?

And if we want an "aggressive" profile from Ken does he have a list of those to choose from? Or how do we go about getting one? Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:

And if we want an "aggressive" profile from Ken does he have a list of those to choose from? Or how do we go about getting one? Thanks for the info.

The Volkswagen lifter ( https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 8&jsn=1136) "foot print" is 1.115 dia. body dia is .745
I don't have the spec on the ford lifter. I have the part just haven't been able to find it.
I have not talked to Ken as I didn't want to bother him about something I will probably never do.
Maybe Dave M can shed some more light on this

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:

About all of the cam lob profiles at Oregon are Comp-Chevy lobes. Although they do have others, but they are not easy to find.
Oregon does not have a way to sort for cam profiles that require a lifter larger than the Chevy lifter.
The last cam that I had ground at Oregon I got Ken to go page by page through the profile sheets for the durations and lifts that I was interested in to find one that specified on the lob profile sheet that a larger than Chevy lifter was required.

Chevy has the smallest lifter diameter, Ford is a bit larger, Mopar is the largest diameter.
A larger lifter diameter allows the lifter opening ramp to be steeper, so the valve opens faster.
A smaller lifter diameter would allow the edge of the lifter to dig into the cam lob if the ramp was too steep.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:06 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Looks doable for sure. Before you pull the trigger on a cam or lifters, source the bushings(custom)and a shop that will install and hone them for you...and spotface the bottom of the lifter bores....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Dave M wrote:
He also mentioned that with the slant six's .904 lifter he could grind a very aggressive profile. More than what we could use or need.

So true. But who would put all those machinists kids through college? :mrgreen:

CJ

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next