Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:00 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1983 d150
I have a 1983 Dodge d150 with a slant
with a four-speed transmission. And cold weather it is very hard for me to shift until the engine and the transmission warms up it's like you have to force it into gear and it grinds the gears there's anyone know what is causing this and a possible solution thank you for your help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:19 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The oil in the trans is thick due to the cold temperatures and it is causing the synchronizers to be slow... That would be my guess.

You can try changing the fluid in the transmission to the recommended quantity of good-quality Dexron-type ATF. That may help in the cold.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:49 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1983 d150
Thank you so much for your suggestion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Hopefully someone else will chime in as well - You might want to check the service manual for the type of fluid in your year of transmission.

I have had a few that get thick in the cold as well. I might also suggest that you check with Brewers, Give them a call, they might have eve better suggestions than I do as they are experts with the MoPar 4 speeds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:15 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
It could also be that your throwout (clutch release) bearing is wearing out and the lubricant grease is cold and so it is not fully releasing the clutch (stopping the input shaft). You would have to replace the release bearing. MAKE SURE to get one with a metal body and not a plastic one as the latter can wear out or break very quickly. Brewers still has the metal bodied ones, I believe.

You could also try adjusting the clutch to give a bit less free play when the pedal is up. If the clutch is "on the edge" of not adjusted properly, that might make the cold weather stickiness and grinding worse. This is free to try and is the first thing I would do. I would not be too optimistic about this.

Since the lube replacement is easy and cheap, I would do that second after the clutch adjustment, then go on to replacing the clutch bearing or rebuilding the trans with new/good synchros if neither of those first two options work.

Lou