Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum upgrade!
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model*: 1983 Dodge D150 slant six 4 speed OD
I have a 1983 D150 with A833 4 speed and it seems to me like the clutch doesn’t grab until the clutch pedal is almost all the way out and way off the floor. I tried to adjust using the adjustment nuts for the clutch pedal freeplay underneath on the cable but it just seems like the clutch should be grabbing closer to the floor. Is it possible that it may need a new clutch or could something else be wrong? All my experiences driving stick are on newer vehicles but none have grabbed this high off the floor before making it tough to drive without stalling.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model*:
I have an 83 D150, a833 OD tranny,,,and I don’t know of an ‘adjustment’ to the clutch pedal height.
The adjustment for the clutch engagement is controlled by the nut on a rod at the throw out bearing lever that protrudes from the bell housing.
Try removing the bottom plate from the bell housing and adjusting the nut till you get .030 or so clearance between the clutch plate and the flywheel with the clutch pedal fully depressed.
You will need someone under the vehicle and someone working the clutch pedal. Do this with the motor off.
Usually when a clutch is worn it will slip, if the clutch is not slipping, it should be ok.
Other possible causes to poor clutch pedal action is, the clutch linkage-z bar has excessive play due to wear. There are plastic bushings in the z bar that wear over time and use.
Another item that wears is the eyes at the ends of the clutch pedal rod, with wear they open up and can give erratic clutch operation.
But start with checking clearance between the clutch disk and flywheel.