Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:35 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Now you did it. Now they are in defense move to try and prove its not "easy". How dare you. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:58 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Well...everything is easy if someone else does it!

So here's the bell. You can see the added metal and the new holes as well as the old ones. I guess either 122 or 130 tooth flywheel could be used. I did not find it necessary to cut off and move the 'nose cone'. I just cut away some of the semi-circle part of the flange and the starter fits well.

If anyone wants to do this...you need to move the two holes .460" outward in the radial direction. They need to be kept 'parallel' to each other and 'clocked' the same as the old holes.

The best piece of advice I can give? The grinding/welding of course damaged the QT paint. I also wanted the bell red so I decided to remove the black and paint it red. As it turns out, QT is apparently applying some sort of space-shuttle re-entry approved paint that is a wicked pain to remove....probably the 2nd or 3rd worst paint I've ever blasted off anything. So my advice is to feather out the damaged paint and just repaint that area!

Attachments:
red bell.jpg
red bell.jpg [ 252.84 KiB | Viewed 3836 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Good info! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:54 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
GregCon wrote:
Well...everything is easy if someone else does it!

So here's the bell. You can see the added metal and the new holes as well as the old ones. I guess either 122 or 130 tooth flywheel could be used. I did not find it necessary to cut off and move the 'nose cone'. I just cut away some of the semi-circle part of the flange and the starter fits well.

If anyone wants to do this...you need to move the two holes .460" outward in the radial direction. They need to be kept 'parallel' to each other and 'clocked' the same as the old holes.

The best piece of advice I can give? The grinding/welding of course damaged the QT paint. I also wanted the bell red so I decided to remove the black and paint it red. As it turns out, QT is apparently applying some sort of space-shuttle re-entry approved paint that is a wicked pain to remove....probably the 2nd or 3rd worst paint I've ever blasted off anything. So my advice is to feather out the damaged paint and just repaint that area!

Very Nice!

The QT paint, was it powder coat?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:36 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
It might have been. But I've found there's powdercoat, then there's powdercoat....some of it blasts off like nothing and some fights like crazy.

This bell had two distinct layers of paint, so if it was powdercoat they used a primer first. Both layers were tough.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14