Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: A904 kit ???
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:47 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1973&84 Sportsman,1987&88 D150
I've decided to rebuild my A904! This is my first trans rebuild. There are a bunch of kits available and I have no idea which one!!!! I use this D150 as a daily driver and want dependability and quality, but don't want to over do it! Part of the failure was torque converter hub/ front bushing. Trans part number is "PK4431566". I would think in addition to a standard rebuild kit I would like to replace front band, clutches and bushings. Since I have it apart, should I do anything more? What company for kit and converter? Should I enhance or upgrade anything like front band lever?
Thanks Slant Six.org

Post subject: Re: A904 kit ???
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
First thing you should get is the latest Torqueflite book by Tom Hand.
https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-TorqueFlite-904-727-Transmissions/dp/1613253354

This book has everything in it and will answer any question you could possibly have. I especially like it for the fact that it extensively covers the 904 transmission.

-Matt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:13 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Yes on book. New pump bushing and new pump gears. Pay close attention to tolerances inside the pump.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Those are old bulletins ,before your truck was built. Info only

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:39 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
About ten years ago now (give or take), I taught myself how to rebuild 904 transmission by getting three dead transissions on a workbench, getting a factory service manual, getting the ATSG rebuild guide, getting a complete rebuild kit and some extra parts, and getting a shift kit. I got all three rebuilt no problem. The 904 is really easy to rebuild and you can do it with basic hand tools. The only difficult part is compressing the front clutch pack to take it apart, but a couple clamps made that possible.

For a daily driver with longevity in mind, I recommend a stock rebuild with the addition of a Transgo Shift Corretion package TF6.

I get nearly all my transmission parts from http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com and http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com.

If ordering from Makco, I recommend you get the rebuild kit in a box (12006C-Box-1), one of the magnets for the pan if you don't already have one, a can of trans cooling system flush, a tub of assembly goo, a new pump (just do it), the transmission repair manual, and a torque converter. That should get you everything you need to do a good rebuild. Go slow, consult the FSM and the ATSG manuals, and you can do it.

Post subject: Re: flow test
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:05 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
[/Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Flow test for any year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

What happened? Everyone says its cheaper and easy to do it yourself, but it just went to a $260 kit, $110 pump, $200 torque converter, $400 valve body, talk about shudders and flow tests! I think a little pee just ran down my leg!

Do I really need all that? Maybe I need to explain the situation a little better. Please take a look at my post in Slantsix.org about Ring Gear Rubbing starter -https://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61790- This trans has only 66,000 miles on it but the torque converter hub failed. It ran fine, shifted fine, no shutter or revers shifting problems, but started making a grinding noise. The local trans shop says $450 to rebuild it with new torque converter. They been around for 40 years+ and have a good reputation around town. Is there something I'm missing? Doesn't condition or type of failure determine how extensive kit needs to be?

Book- Yes
Kit from Makco 12006C- Ok, Already had saved a link to that company, Just wasn't sure I needed 1200C Box or a deluxe kit 12008C or what?
Torque converter from Dacco/Autozone- Is Dacco ok or junk? It was suggested that I get a pump with a better hub, but that kind of info is not available on anything I've seen in my $$$ range.
Pump as I read, rarely fails?
Valve body? Why?

I've already torn down most of this trans and there is almost no grime or metal of any kind in it, even in the servos. Only thought of doing everything else because you have to tear it down to replace the front bushing? I used a video to tear it down, on youtube by Tylers Garage-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBb81BAmPoc- He is long winded but I think he does a good job of walking you through it.

I thought a few hundred bucks and the pride of telling my buddies I rebuilt a auto trans, and I'm back crusin!!! I'm not disagreeing with anything, I just don't understand the comparison of the different things I'm reading about doing this rebuild. Some say cheap and easy with simple kit, and others say different. Can I have a little more info on why these things are needed?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

matv91, I see your post in my other message, but I never experienced a shutter. As I understand it, hub problems are common on Slant six A904's and this is the last year I believe they ever used a slant in a truck. You said that the info was only info because it was for earlier A904, am I understanding you correctly? Do these bulletins apply to my 87 or just a good thing to consider? Wouldn't they have solved these problems by 8 years later if they knew about them in 79'?

Thanks matv91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:29 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That bulletin was a history lesson not for your truck. But the info is good. the issue was fixed and explained in that bulletin. Service manuals after that bulletin contain a new statement in bold print. Oil pump and reaction shaft support-904. Due to the lock-up torque converter,it is important that the oil pump be within the clearance limits as specified. Also note that the oil pump bushing should be replaced in any overhaul.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Per Tom Hand "how to rebuild for A904 & A727", the crack in the torque converter hub ate away the front pump bushing causing all kinds of slop in the front of the trans. Clearances would be affected and any number of noises and grinding/rubbing could result. In the manual it details how to disassemble and check all clearances in the pump and everything else. I'm going to follow the manual to the letter and go from there. After I check everything I'm going to order the appropriate kit and any other parts I might need. The best suggestion was to buy the book (Badvert65's suggestion)! Now I know what I'm looking at, How it works and what could be wrong and why!! Not bad for $34!!! I suggest anyone with any questions along these lines buy the book!!!! I appreciate all the input and suggestions and I will keep you guys posted on the results of my journey into the A904 automatic transmission!!!