Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: T85N to Slant
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I was at a family reunion and of course ended up chatting with the only other person there who was a gearhead/engineer like myself. The conversation turned to old cars and he started to describe a 3-on-the-tree 3-speed manual that had a sorta-automatic 2-speed overdrive behind it. I did some searching, and sure enough, he was describing the Borg Warner T85N. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, so I just love a column shifted 3-speed manual, but the A745 (petty sure anyways) in there isn't going to cut it for the land speed attempts I have planned. The .70/.72 overdrive on the Borg Warner R-10/R-11, however, would be about exactly what I need. I know they installed the T85N in Ford trucks, and in some Mopars, but I'm not sure it ever went behind a slant. Does anyone have experience with that transmission? I know I'm crazy, but I've learned to embrace it. :lol:

1961 D200: crew cab short bed, sold.

1965 D500 Crew Cab, planning a 6V92 swap and 6x6 conversion.

Post subject: Re: T85N to Slant
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
User KenUSA used an older overdrive in his 1960 Dart. I'm not immediately finding his installation thread, but you can search his posts and find it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Many years ago, somebody posted on moparts how he mounted the BW overdrive to a A833. It wasn't easy. On the otherhand apparently the overdrive on the Saginaw 3 speed bolts onto the Saginaw 4 speed. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:44 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
kesteb wrote:
Many years ago, somebody posted on moparts how he mounted the BW overdrive to a A833. It wasn't easy. On the otherhand apparently the overdrive on the Saginaw 3 speed bolts onto the Saginaw 4 speed. Just a thought.

Thanks! I really want to keep the three-on-the-tree though, so that kinda rules out 4-speeds. I wish I could get some pictures of a Mopar T85 though - or an application that used a slant six and a T85N. I did find a handful of Ford T85Ns listed on Car-Part.com . . .

1961 D200: crew cab short bed, sold.

1965 D500 Crew Cab, planning a 6V92 swap and 6x6 conversion.