Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:28 pm 
I keep busting the torque plate where it bolts to the converters. This is the 3rd one in the past year. I do not know how many miles are on the tranny, but the fluid remains clean with no slipping. The torque converter is about a year old now. There does not seem to be any vibes while the engine is running. What could be causing this? Also someone told me I can change this plate without pulling the trans, any words on that? Thanks. By the way this is in a 68 Charger with a 225

Rszubart@Excite.com

Post subject: Re: Broken torque plate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:46 pm 
Well ray,

Dr D wrote an atricle regarding vibration in these beasts. If the bolts are working themselves loose, that would whack a flexplate. It is possible, assuming that the flexplates you are using are used, that there are stress cracks already started. Magnifluxing may be cheap insurance on the next one.

I've been admonished for using the dreaded "C" word, but with my Rat's misalignment between the engine block and the trans will take-out a flexplate. A careful side-side measurement MAY reveal a misalignment condition.

As for replacing the flexplate, I just checked my torqueflite. The casting goes all the way around the torque converter. Best advice I can give is to slide it back. You probably won't need to completely remove the trans from the car.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Gilly

tlg225ccr@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:44 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: I keep busting the torque plate where it bolts
: to the converters. This is the 3rd one in
: the past year.

Whoo, you are breaking the eyelet(s) out of the *flexplate*, for a moment I thought you where breaking cylinder honing torque plates! (that would be hard to do with the hone plate I have, see pic below)

I had some flexplates break years ago on a 440 car I ran, it ended-up that one of the converter's mounting stands was taller then the other 3. (it was also a little uneven) I milled all 4 mounting points to the same hight and installed a SFI certified flexplate and never had the problem again.
Are you running the larger size flexplate to converter bolts?
Sounds like it is time to pull-out the dial indicator and do some carefull measuring.
DD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:35 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: Whoo, you are breaking the eyelet(s) out of the
: *flexplate*, for a moment I thought you
: where breaking cylinder honing torque
: plates! (that would be hard to do with the
: hone plate I have, see pic below)
:
: I had some flexplates break years ago on a 440
: car I ran, it ended-up that one of the
: converter's mounting stands was taller then
: the other 3. (it was also a little uneven) I
: milled all 4 mounting points to the same
: hight and installed a SFI certified
: flexplate and never had the problem again.
: Are you running the larger size flexplate to
: converter bolts?
: Sounds like it is time to pull-out the dial
: indicator and do some carefull measuring.
: DD

Larger converter bolts???? I am not sure, they are the same one that have been in the car for 30 odd years as far as I know. I guess I can take the converter and have the stands check. What is a sfi cert plate? The last one was a Mopar performance but the others are just napa brand. They both looked identical. I was also wondering, is there a difference between the cast crank and forged crank converters? Thanks

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]