Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:22 pm 
Hi gang,
I'm going to order some replacement rear leaf springs for my 1966 Dart GT in a week or so and need to order the right parts and get mentally ready for the project. Is there anything I should know prior to proceeding- e.g., can I do the job myself, any special tools required, should I replace other parts at the same time while I'm under there? It's a daily driver so- rubber or polyurethane bushings?

Tom

kimpelt@pdx.edu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:55 am 
Hi Tom,

I live in Iowa, everything rusts here. If this was an Iowa car, with typical Iowa rust, I'd plan on new u-bolts (good idea no matter what), new shackles, and new bushings (small end). The new springs should come with new big-end bushings. I've used Poly stuff up front and it sqeaked when cold, the rubber bushings should be fine.

If you want to reuse shackles, etc, and there is any possibility of breaking stuff, use a nut splitter (from Napa or wherever) and use new nuts. On my last one, I split the shackle nuts before I even put a wrench on them.

You might have troubles getting the front mount back into place (spring acts too short), you can probably use a large C clamp to pull it forward enough to get the nuts on.

Order a strong spring, I've had a lot of trouble getting the correct springs, they all seem to let the rear sag too much, some even more than the old springs I took off.

ESPO (search the web for them) sells good quality for good prices.

good luck,
mark

mldingba@rockwellcollins.com

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]