Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Charcoal in the pipes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:23 pm 
I ran the 4bbl and electronic ignition before I went through the engine. After fresh everything , new cam, split headers and duals, new Clifford intake ..ect ect.. the tail pipes are still dark and chalky. It idles and runs strong ...does'nt foul the plugs. It just seems that that unburned fuel is power I'm not getting at the rear wheels.I'm limited to a 2X9 inch. air cleaner..but run a K&N element. Am I fusing about nothing? Or is there power not being realized? Any Idea's?

Thanks Trysix

Soupitup@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:10 am 
(User Above) wrote:
: I ran the 4bbl and electronic ignition before I
: went through the engine. After fresh
: everything , new cam, split headers and
: duals, new Clifford intake ..ect ect.. the
: tail pipes are still dark and chalky. It
: idles and runs strong ...does'nt foul the
: plugs. It just seems that that unburned fuel
: is power I'm not getting at the rear
: wheels.I'm limited to a 2X9 inch. air
: cleaner..but run a K&N element. Am I fusing
: about nothing? Or is there power not being
: realized? Any Idea's?

Time to "play around" with the carb. jetting.

I have always "leaned-out" any new carb / manifold set-up untill it started to hesitate or "lean serge", then I will "step-up" (richen) untill those problems go away. That place usually ends-up being the setting where you get the best power / ET.

Basically you need to know how lean your carb. / manifold combo will go. (this is where good fuel distribution comes into play, you can only go as lean as the leanest cylinder, even if others are running real rich) Correcting fuel distribution problems can get tricky.
DD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:32 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: Time to "play around" with the carb.
: jetting.

Thanks again Doc'
I've always set the Idle for the best vacumm and Idle at the timming setting that I'm trying.And I redo everything until I'm happy. It may be the cam duration...Idle that I'm trying to smooth out with the Idle ajustments. I'll try the lean it out thing and let you know how it turns out. Sometimes I think I forget the basics...been many moon since I played with a performance engine.

Trysix

Soupitup@msn.com

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]