Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Duster problems part 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:50 pm 
The consensus seems to be that I have a short in the ignition or a distributor problem that is causing a misfire in my Duster. After looking under my hood, I realized that the car's wiring harnesses have seen better days. New harnesses arent't to terribly expensive, however, Year One has an engine/forward light harness for a 1969 Valiant/Dart slant-6 and Dart 383/440. Does anyone know if this harness will work on my '72 Duster (I don't have electronic ignition). I'm also wondering how serious of a problem my cracked exhaust manifold is. Is it urgent that it be fixed immediately?

jbrig@enter.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:08 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: The consensus seems to be that I have a short
: in the ignition or a distributor problem
: that is causing a misfire in my Duster.
: After looking under my hood, I realized that
: the car's wiring harnesses have seen better
: days. New harnesses arent't to terribly
: expensive, however, Year One has an
: engine/forward light harness for a 1969
: Valiant/Dart slant-6 and Dart 383/440. Does
: anyone know if this harness will work on my
: '72 Duster (I don't have electronic
: ignition). I'm also wondering how serious of
: a problem my cracked exhaust manifold is. Is
: it urgent that it be fixed immediately?

A cracked exhaust manifold is not a big deal, it can be noisy but it will not hurt anything.

As for a bad wiring harness, unless it is completly melted with many bad wires, I would fix the one you have in the car.
If possible, chase down the bad connection or short and fix that instead of replacing the whole harness.
DD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:02 am 
Since you've indicated you do not have electronic ignition why not get a Mopar conversion kit? If your distributor is the problem it'll be changed and it is far far easier to set your timing. Cost is minimal and time is about 2 hours to install. I did the switch on a '68 Fury with 318 and was amazed at the difference.
I,ve read that you should change to an electronic voltage reglator c/w a 2 pole alternator. I never did this on my Fury however and never had a problem so I don't no how necessary the upgrade to your secondary elctronics is.

todd.fenton@sympatico.ca

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]