Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:11 am 
Howdy all.....I have a chance at an engine/trans assy., And I'd like some assistance at identifying the trans, (hopefully by tomorrow am). I only had about ten minutes to get what info I have, so it's kinda sketchy.

(Yeah Doug, I know, I shoulda gotten the id # from the engine pad by the alternator....gunked up, couldn't find)

It appears to be original from vehicle, which I find to be an odd combination. A '78 full-size van, and the emissions sticker under the hood does indicate a 225/super 6.

Engine: 225 w/super 6 pkg., 5-plug block with casting 530-10 (If I recall correctly, this is still a steel crank, solid lifter engine?)

Trans: Appears to be a 4-speed, trans tailshaft has casting C-99531 with "SS" under casting #. Has a Hurst shifter mounted in forward position, with tall handle in place, and does have rear mounting position. Iron case, alu. side cover. Two shafts going through side cover, with third shaft entering through case, just below cover and slightly to rear. Seperate, alu. bell hsg.

I'm suspecting it's an o/d four-gear, but need some of the experts to venture an educated guess. I would also guess it's got the 10-inch clutch pkg., rather than the car 9-inch.

Thanks in advance, and if I do get it, the manual trans, with clutch/flywheel will be for sale. My car's an auto, and I think I'd like to keep it that way.

Roger

GTS225@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:07 pm 
Roger,
This is most likely a cast crank engine, it should have a gussit or "rib" behind the water pump mount flange which is about .300 thick and runs the same thickness all the way to the block side. (forged crank engines have a taper to this rib, see pic below) This engine should have mechanical lifters.

Does the 4-speed still have the levers on the side cover, if the front lever is "up-side-down" then it is an OD unit. This is the B & E & truck / van tranny.
DD
(User Above) wrote:
:
: Howdy all.....I have a chance at an
: engine/trans assy., And I'd like some
: assistance at identifying the engine & trans . . .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:26 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: This is most likely a cast crank engine, it
: should have a gussit or "rib"
: behind the water pump mount flange which is
: about .300 thick and runs the same thickness
: all the way to the block side.

DOH! You're right, Doug, I forgot about that cast gusset. I'll check again tomorrow.
:
: Does the 4-speed still have the levers on the
: side cover, if the front lever is
: "up-side-down" then it is an OD unit. This is
: the B & E & truck / van tranny.
By "upside down", I presume you mean pointing toward the ground. I'm not sure at this time, but I think it was. That would make it an 833-O/D unit?

Roger

GTS225@aol.com

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]