Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: 17 year old with a 65
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:40 pm 
Hey all I am new to the list so i will just start with telling you what i have. I own a 1965 plymouth barracuda with a 225 slant six and a 904 automatic tranny. everything is bone stock on this except the stereo system, and the paint. Reed has seen my car on ebay when i was thinking of selling it, by the way Reed i cant post on Slantsix.com anymore cus i lost my password. I tried to e-mail them for it but i havent got a response so if you could help i would be very appreciative. So here is the question is it possiable to get this six to run a 12.00 1/4mile in street trim with back seat and all????

Starbravo@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 7:07 am 
(User Above) wrote:
: Hey all I am new to the list so i will just
: start with telling you what i have. I own a
: 1965 plymouth barracuda with a 225 slant six
: and a 904 automatic tranny. everything is
: bone stock on this except the stereo system,
: and the paint. Reed has seen my car on ebay
: when i was thinking of selling it, by the
: way Reed i cant post on Slantsix.com anymore
: cus i lost my password. I tried to e-mail
: them for it but i havent got a response so
: if you could help i would be very
: appreciative. So here is the question is it
: possiable to get this six to run a 12.00
: 1/4mile in street trim with back seat and
: all????

In my definition of "street trim", I think it is possible, but ONLY with a turbo/superch/nitrous. I think 13's are doable in street trim naturally aspirated.

Lou

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:40 pm 
my definition is everything stock I.E. carpet two bucket seats, backseat, and with stereo system, street tire, basically not a chopped up dragster. I was also wondering what was the best way or most long lasting way to get power in the 12's out of a six turbo, nitrous, or superchargeing. i have read through the articles and just want a few opinions. also thank you Mr. Dutra for that article it saved me from a very expensive, and boring v-8 swap but after reading the Slant sickness and its following article, i want to see what i can do with a six especially with a hyperpak. Thx all

Starbravo@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 4:48 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: Hey all I am new to the list so i will just
: start with telling you what i have. I own a
: 1965 plymouth barracuda with a 225 slant six
: and a 904 automatic tranny. everything is
: bone stock on this except the stereo system,
: and the paint. Reed has seen my car on ebay
: when i was thinking of selling it, by the
: way Reed i cant post on Slantsix.com anymore
: cus i lost my password. I tried to e-mail
: them for it but i havent got a response so
: if you could help i would be very
: appreciative. So here is the question is it
: possiable to get this six to run a 12.00
: 1/4 mile in street trim with back seat and
: all????

It has a lot to do with how you define "street trim". . .

Trouble with all the "street trim" stuff it that it is heavy. If you have lightweight seats, thin carputs with no padding and no window regulators in the doors, is it still street trim?

How about an engine with a real choppy idle and a loose trans. torque converter, you can still drive it on the street but . . .

Here is the killer, rear end gear ratio, you are lookin at 4.56 - 4.88 gearing to run 12's. Without an overdrive, this is not something you want to drive on the freeway. (to get an idea how it feels, drive you car around for a day, in second gear)"Street tires" will also be a challenge, you will need those DOT rated grooved slicks and some rear wheelwell work, the car has to "hook-up".

To be honest, the easy way to do 12.00's on the street is to drop-in a 440 into an A-Body. I've run these, it's nuts, I'm lucky to have survived and everyone *expects* the car to be killer fast. Now if a SL6 car runs in the mid 13 (like the Hot Rod build-up) it will be an "eye-popping, jaw dropping" street car that everyone thinks is V8 powered and they will freek when you show them it is not.
DD

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 8:53 pm 
I bet you could get pretty close to 12.0's with a good turbo motor. Dennis

slantzilla@excite.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 10:01 pm 
basically i am just looking for the most reliable slant setup so i think that the turbo option is a good way to go. I am not a fan of Nitrous, and don't want to cut my hood up for a blower. Unfortunatley I have little experience with working on cars but i do have ambition and a need not only for some performance but to stay away from the crowed of imports, and chevy's. I love the looks i get in my 65 and i love the little six as it will have a sleeper quality to it. Heck everyon has a 360 but only crazy people would hot rod a slant six. Well i am just crazy enough. and if i am running off a the mouth on these posts please tell me i have a tendancy to get articulate when mopar is involved. Thx again all.

Starbravo@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 10:18 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: It has a lot to do with how you define
: "street trim". . .
:
: Trouble with all the "street trim"
: stuff it that it is heavy. If you have
: lightweight seats, thin carputs with no
: padding and no window regulators, is it
: still street trim?
:
: How about an engine with a real choppy idle and
: a loose trans. torque converter, you can
: still drive it on the street but . . .
:
: Here is the killer, rear end gear ratio, you
: are lookin at 4.56 - 4.88 gearing to run
: 12's. Without an overdrive, this is not
: something you want to drive on the freeway.
: (to get an idea how it feels, drive you car
: around for a day, in second gear)
:
: To be honest, the easy way to do 12.00's on the
: street is to drop-in a 440 into an A-Body.
: I've run these, it's nuts, I'm lucky to have
: survived and everyone *expects* the car to
: be killer fast. Now if a SL6 car runs in the
: mid 13 (like the Hot Rod build-up) it will
: be an "eye-popping, jaw dropping"
: street car that everyone thinks is V8
: powered and they will freek when you show
: them it is not.
: DD

I have already defined my "street trim" in another post.

440 yeah you have a point it would be the easy way to run twelves but what fun is easy. Any idiot can hop up a v-8, or say "Hey, that turbo kit will bolt right up to my honda and then i will be able to get closer to that mopar that keeps wastin me."

Lucky for me i am a thick skulled kid so i hate easy. I dont expect to have some killer machine that can waste anything in the world because at the end of the day a drag race between v-8's is about ca$h more than inovation. Thats what has drawn me to your slanted point of view. Being creative and original with a car is alot cooler in my mind then having another 350 that puts out 500 horse and is the same engine, same bolt on stuff, and same car that every other yokle has. So here i am your astute pupil.

I'am taking my cuda' to the highschool drags this weekend at firebird raceway i will have an 1/4 mile time for you guys by monday i am guessing it to be 20's but thats a good place to start. thanks for all the feed back guys i really appreciate your time. keep up the good work!!!!!

Starbravo@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:23 am 
(User Above) wrote:
: I am not a fan of Nitrous, and don't want to
: cut my hood up for a blower. Heck everyon has
: a 360 but only crazy people would hot rod a
: slant six. Well i am just crazy enough.

Oh, yeah....he's hooked! :D

Brent, I'm not much of a fan of nitrous, either, but you DON'T have to cut up your hood for a supercharger. Wander through a search for superchargers in Ebay parts and accessories and take a look at the Paxton & Vortech units and I suggest you might be intrigued. Under-hood, hidden....Those things just scream Sleeeperrrrr.

I'm planning and rounding up parts for a "blower" motor, and plan on using on of them.

Roger

GTS225@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 4:52 pm 
I got a slant six '66 Dart for Christmas when I was 18. Unfortunately, it's still not fast, 6 years later, but I have made a lot of improvements to it. It now rolls along on 16" large bolt pattern wheels which hide a set of '79 Newport front brakes and rear 10" drums, and with some suspension upgrades it really outhandles and outbrakes a stock Dart by a long shot.

Anyway, to get the kind of speed you need, I would suggest running a turbocharger. Turbos allow you to make a lot of torque from a small package. According to one of my computer models, a slant six running around 12 psi of intercooled boost with a relatively mild cam could easily run in the 12's with a full interior, automatic transmission with the stock torque convertor, and 3.23:1 gears. Turbos also enable other mods to give huge performance jumps. My Desktop Dyno program predicts that a ported head with the Mopar Performance valves and a Comp Cams 264S cam will make about 100 more horsepower if added to a turbocharged motor. I don't know how accurate that is, but tuning turbo engines calls for more than just more boost.

Plus, boost isn't as hard on the 225 as revs. You've got a 4.125" stroke, so revving it to even 6,500 RPM is going to give you the same piston speed as an Integra Type R or BMW M3. But forced induction works very well with the slant six's low compression, beefy internals, and tendancy towards low RPM torque.

dart270@geocities.com

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:14 pm 
brent I run a turbo 225, intercooled. I ran a best of 14.50 @ 95 mph on a totaly stock engine at 10 lbs of boost. I now have a 225 that is 60 over, mp ss valves, ported head, comp cams custom grind cam and valve springs, arp bolts, windage tray, offy 4 barrel intake, 600 dp carb holley, 3.55 gears in a 8 3/4 rear, and 16 inch wheels from a conquest with kumbo tires. I will run this set up on sunday for the frist time at 6 lbs of boost. I think I will hit the 13s @ 100 mph. I also have the means to build a kit for you. I will let you know what happens!!!

andrew wagner
(User Above) wrote:
:
:
: **************************************************
: Oh, yeah....he's hooked! :D
:
: Brent, I'm not much of a fan of nitrous,
: either, but you DON'T have to cut up your
: hood for a supercharger. Wander through a
: search for superchargers in Ebay parts and
: accessories and take a look at the Paxton
: & Vortech units and I suggest you might
: be intrigued. Under-hood, hidden....Those
: things just scream Sleeeperrrrr.
:
: I'm planning and rounding up parts for a
: "blower" motor, and plan on using
: on of them.
:
: Roger

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 2:32 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: I bet you could get pretty close to 12.0's with
: a good turbo motor. Dennis

Come on Dennis tell him how hard it really is to run 12's . It can be done and he says he has a hard head so he might make it but it is not easy.

Will

slantsix@netzero.net

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]