Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: My First Car
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:01 am 
Hey, I just turned 17 3 weeks ago and bought my first car today. It's a 1964 Dart 270 Conv.(named Jackie) with a 225 /6, very nice. Original white paint, red interior, and white top. Everything else is original too, except for the carpet(original owner mucked it up so he replaced). Now that I've stated the greatness of my car I'll get to my questions.
I need power, lots and lots of power. Well, atleast enough to beat Civics...I hate Civics more than anything. My friends have a 67 Mustang with a 350, a 68 Coronet Conv. with a 440, and an 82 Camaro(no clue on the engine), while I know it'll take alot of effort to be able to keep up with these guys I want to do it. And if I can't...I atleast want to beat those crappy Civics. So any suggestions on what I should do to Jackie? I need to go vroooom. And I'd like to keep it a /6, if at all possible.
O ya, the previous owner, who originally bought the car, has kept it in storage for the past four years. While he did disconnect the radio, he did not drain the gas, so a 1/2 to a full tank of gas has been in it for 4 yrs...think any damage has been done or can I drain it and it'll be fine? Poor Jackie...
Thanks, Jordan

failed_ethics@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: My First Car
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:06 pm 
Jordan......first, do you have it running, yet? If so, fill the tank the rest of the way and run the gas out of it "naturally". It might run a bit crappy for that first tankful, but that will get the engine used to running again, and all the other "juices" flowing.

While you're running that old, stale gas out of it, hit a few salvage yards. Look for Aspens and Volares, as well as pickups or vans with the slant in them. Many of these had a two-barrel intake and carb that will help your performance. get the intake/exhaust combo, carb, air cleaner housing, and (if an auto trans), the kickdown linkage form the carb to the trans.

If you need to replace the exhaust system, have it bent up at an exhaust shop, but kick up the size to a 2" system, with a free-flowing muffler.

You could also look for an electronic ignition distributer while you're at it. This won't necessarily help performance, but will enhance everyday street driving and reliability.

There are more things that can be done, but we'll leave it at this to get you started. Come back often, keep us advised of your successes, (or failures), and ask more questions as needed.

Roger

GTS225@aol.com

Post subject: Re: My First Car
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:08 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: Hey, I just turned 17 3 weeks ago and bought my
: first car today. It's a 1964 Dart 270
: Conv.(named Jackie) with a 225 /6, very
: nice. Original white paint, red interior,
: and white top. Everything else is original
: too, except for the carpet(original owner
: mucked it up so he replaced). Now that I've
: stated the greatness of my car I'll get to
: my questions.
: I need power, lots and lots of power. Well,
: atleast enough to beat Civics...I hate
: Civics more than anything. My friends have a
: 67 Mustang with a 350, a 68 Coronet Conv.
: with a 440, and an 82 Camaro(no clue on the
: engine), while I know it'll take alot of
: effort to be able to keep up with these guys
: I want to do it. And if I can't...I atleast
: want to beat those crappy Civics. So any
: suggestions on what I should do to Jackie? I
: need to go vroooom. And I'd like to keep it
: a /6, if at all possible.
: O ya, the previous owner, who originally bought
: the car, has kept it in storage for the past
: four years. While he did disconnect the
: radio, he did not drain the gas, so a 1/2 to
: a full tank of gas has been in it for 4
: yrs...think any damage has been done or can
: I drain it and it'll be fine? Poor Jackie...
: Thanks, Jordan

Also add a can of carb cleaner while you're running through that first tank of gas. I'd put a can in at the next couple of fill-ups as well.

Bob D

BBobbias@aol.com

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]