Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
The 2020 racing season is still happening, despite all the craziness out there!

Rookie and first time Slant 6 racer Jeff Kendall in his SDRA dragster won at MoKan and then made the long haul to Knoxville to maintain his lead as our National Points Leader. Word has it he plans to submit timeslips to Seymour in order to take the open AA/Gas record for another 20 bonus points as well. Welcome to the Slanted Family, Jeff! You do make quite the grand entrance! :D

Two-time National Champion Ryan Covalt was finally able to race at the usually rained out Knoxville race, winning Friday and a round on Saturday to end up in second place, tied with...

Knoxville native Lukus Bruner who lives about a mile from the track came out with Runner-Up finishes both days to tie for second place.

Rick Covalt won Saturday and a round on Friday to secure the third spot in the run for the National Championship.

Cassidy Soard from Team Green was Runner-Up at MoKan and sits in the number four spot.

2019 Rookie of the Year, Isiah Bruner was running the Funny Truck at Knoxville, winning a round to tie for the number fifth spot with...

David Shank drove Rick Covalt's beautiful D150 all the way from Pennsylvania (the truck is for sale...) to win a round for the fifth spot tie.

We've only had 16 racers competing so far in 2020, which is actually pretty good considering everything going on this year.

The next and only other currently scheduled race is Clay City, KY 11-12 September. We may have a final race added at Mason-Dixon, MD on 10-11 October, but it isn't likely.

Here are the points standings after the Knoxville race.

Attachments:
Points thru Knoxville 20.JPG
Points thru Knoxville 20.JPG [ 71.15 KiB | Viewed 6130 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
We may have a final race added at Mason-Dixon, MD on 10-11 October, but it isn't likely.

We are still planning on this race, but Elmer says that is depending on whether or not they are still in business by then. Plan is to contact him 2 weeks before and get a definite yes or no.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for the reporting, Rob. Very nice to see. Hope to meet Jeff soon. Wish I could have made Knoxville and hoping to make Clay City and/or Hagerstown.

All the best,
Lou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Thanks for the update.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Jeff Kendall sent me his record application and time slips for the records he set at Knoxville. I forwarded the information to Ryan to post to the record file.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:24 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: SDRA Dragster
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I sure had a good time at both MoKan and Knoxville.
Raced MoKan SPAM DRAGS this past Saturday (8/22/20) in the SDRA class and did not fair too well. Car ran great. All problems originated with the driver.

I talked to Carl Blanton, owner of MoKan, and he says he can re-print time slips all the way back to 2005. So, If I can get him to re-print my time slips from the spring race, could I submit them for the 1/4 mile record? I was running in the 11.20s that day. I know it wouldn't count toward another 20 points, but it would be nice to smash the existing record of 11.96.

Attachments:
IMG_4818.jpg
IMG_4818.jpg [ 167.26 KiB | Viewed 5757 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:59 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I'll get the points updated with the 20 record points.

I'm not the record guy, but I don't see why you couldn't submit the 1/4 mile record...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: Knoxville record added
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:05 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Jeff is gonna seal the deal unless Rick gets that Mason-Dixon race to work in October.

Attachments:
Knoxville 20.JPG
Knoxville 20.JPG [ 71.77 KiB | Viewed 5746 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:15 pm 

Mason Dixon had 2 or 3 well attended races in the last couple weeks, so I think we will likely get the Oct race in here. So don't count us out yet. :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:47 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Jeff, yes, if you can get the print outs from Mokan and send them to Seymour you can set that record too. I didn't get a chance to update the "official record post" on the racing records list yet, but I will get that updated with your 1/8 mile record here soon too! Awesome car! I'm looking forward to seeing just how fast you can make it go!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:26 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Congrats, Jeff, and thanks, Ryan.

Note that you can only get points for one record set per season (20 pts, one time per year).

Best,
Lou

Post subject: Clay City points
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:44 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Clay City was a small group of dedicated racers that braved the sketchy weather report and were rewarded with a pretty decent race.

Friday was won by Lukus Bruner, taking out his son, Isiah in the final.

Saturday that Rookie from Oklahoma in that funny little rail thingy (Jeff Kendal in his SDRA dragster) won all the marbles.

You can see the race coverage in the Clay City thread. :wink:

Here are the points:

Friday:
Lukus Bruner - 35
Isiah Bruner - 25
Jeff Kendall - 15
Joel Harris - 5
Rodney Hargis - 5
Kentucky Poser - 5 pity points

Saturday:
Jeff Kendall - 35
Joel Harris -25
Lukus Bruner - 15
Isiah Bruner - 5
Rodney Hargis - 5
Kentucky Poser - 5 pity points

Once I get home I’ll post the updated spreadsheet, but this extends Jeff’s lead, puts Lukus in second, and ties Isiah with Rick.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:37 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Here are the updated National points after the Clay City race. Next on the docket is the Mason-Dixon race in Boonsboro, MD hosted by the Covalt Clan. Will they have enough to catch that upstart Rookie from Oklahoma...? Tune in the weekend of 9-11 October to find out!

Jeff is now up to 135 points.

Lukus stands the best chance of catching him with his 110 if he can make the tow out to the final race of the season. He would get 10 attendance points for the two day race, so would just need to win two rounds to take the lead.

Ryan would need to win seven rounds to take the lead and Rick would need eight rounds.

If either of them sneak in a late season record for an additional 20 bonus points it puts them that much closer...

And if Lukus and the Old Gray Fox put their heads together down there in the holler to come up with a plan to set a record... Well,... It's almost a done deal then! :twisted:

Don't git no ideas as yer readin' this Jeff!! That's too long a haul and yer marriage is too important... Just let it ride... 8) :lol:

Thank you, gentlemen, for making this crazy 2020 COVID racing season something to enjoy and look forward to watching!

Here are the goods:

Attachments:
Points 2020 thru Clay City.JPG
Points 2020 thru Clay City.JPG [ 90.76 KiB | Viewed 5443 times ]
Clay City 2020 points.JPG
Clay City 2020 points.JPG [ 35.97 KiB | Viewed 5443 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:20 pm 

Of course if Ryan can run a 10.99 that would be a record and that would help too! :D If he drops off those 20 pounds of mufflers that should just about do it. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:03 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Thanks for posting the update Rob! Hopefully we can have a good turnout for Mason Dixon and finish the season out with a bigger race!

With the extra weight of the new wheels and tires, mufflers and header wrap I’m probably not too far off from the B weight. Maybe I can add the second battery and a little weight and try for some B Gas records? That could be fun too. 20 points would help close the gap a little. I’m just glad we got some races in this year. Wish I could’ve came to more but with as crazy as this year has been I’m glad we got to race at all.