Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:28 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Does the fuel pump require a relay external from the relay board in the box? I get conflicting impressions from the Mega Manual. diagrams. One of the diagrams makes it look as if one of the three relays in the box is for the fuel pump. Another diagram shows a relay being triggered by the output #39 from the relay box. So I am confused at this point. And by looking further at the diagram it looks as if the relay coil receives its +12 from the ignition switch. If this is true, the relay box must supply a ground connection. . Now I am really confused. Is there a chance the diagram I am looking at is for a system where you do not have a relay box, but chose instead to wire all this stuff externally yourself? if you go to this link, and click first on sensors and wiring on the left, and then click on external wiring schematic at the top of that page, the diagram at the top of the page is the one in question.

EDIT: I think I have figured this out. After much scrolling through, and searching through internal links in the Mega Manual, I finally found the section on the relay board itself, and it looks as if one of the three relays does fire the fuel pump directly. Any comments on this would be of interest though. Thanks again.

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:41 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
There is one relay in the relay box that runs the fuel pump. You do not need any other relay anywhere in the pump circuit.

Out of curiousity: How many fuses do you have inline to the fuel pump?? :roll: :o :lol: (Hint: there is a fuse in the relay box for the fuel pump, and that's all you need too.)

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:25 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks Lou. I do have an extra fuse in the fuel pump line. I can take that out and splice it. Did you remember seeing that?You have a fine memory. It is labeled, and obvious.

I got to looking at the wiring diagrams when looking to see which line was the TPS reference for wiring up the MAP sensor for the water injection. That is all done now. It will not be relevant until I install a boost control and start to inch the boost up. It seemed like I should go ahead and get that going since it is all installed, and just sitting there.

Sam

Last edited by Sam Powell on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 am 

Car Model:
Keep up the great work, Sam. I hope Elaine will still speak to me next time I visit... BTW, it looks like I'll be up in DC for a mtg on Friday 12/3, and could stay at least part of the weekend. I'd probably drive the truck up there.

I just remember there were a LOT of fuses under the hood of your car, so guessed one might be an extra in the FP circuit...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:09 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Of course Elaine will speak to you. I cannot think of any reason she would not. And, we would like to see you. Things always get kind of hectic in December (as if they ever slow down), but we would love to add you to the list.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 am 

Car Model:
Cool. I way half joking about Elaine - just that you didn't sell your car... :wink:

All the best,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Lou, you were always viewed as a positive influence in every way. And remember, it was her idea to keep the car. She came to me. I am sure she saw the fun we were having that Friday as we got it fired up. And beyond that, she said it just felt right to have it sitting back in the driveway. I find that interesting in light of the many, many cars that have come and gone from our lives over the years. Why do we feel a special attachment to certain automobiles?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 am 

Car Model:
OK, I can do no wrong - I get it! 8) :D Hi to Elaine!

Why Darts? Superior engineering, dare to be different, screw the Camaro establishment, who knows??

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
OK, I can do no wrong - I get it! 8) :D Hi to Elaine!

Why Darts? Superior engineering, dare to be different, screw the Camaro establishment, who knows??

Lou

True on all counts. Over diner, we will discuss the philosophical underpinnings of that top comment. If you dare go there.

Sam