Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Engine Misfire
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:55 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hi all.

I'm running Megajolt ignition via EDIS and TBI injection via Powerjection 3 system.

Currently I'm driving around while data logging on my fuel injection software and trying to tweak things after checking things out afterwards.

Wanted to get someones opinion on my ignition map vs. my last datalog.

Ignition Map:

Datalog:

What is happening around 2000 RPM the engine feels like it hit a wall and I heard almost like a weird gargling (no pinging I believe). The motor is also hitting almost 100KPA, which should mean full manifold flow? I would assume this is completely a timing issue I'm having issues trying to guess with this because I don't have a copilot to change these realtime =P.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by jacmifish on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:14 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Running a 904 Transmission and unknown gearing in the stock rearend.

Engine:
268 Cam
Weisco high comp pistons.
Stock crank.
Clifford manifold and headers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:03 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I replaced the spark plugs and now its seems to run better. Still having issues with ping on higher RPM though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
What plugs are you using?
My Megasquirt ignition still doesn't seem quite right either, id like to try different plugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Smells like Sam Powell's issue from several months ago. He ended up taking his turbo off and has not seen this problem again. He is/was running MSII, which is what you have?

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:13 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I just noticed your running throttle body instead of multi port. If you are hitting full atmosphere are you not getting good fuel atomization? I know with carburetors if you have less than about 4" of vacuum you wont run well. If you stay just a little bit out of the throttle (90kpa ish) do you run stronger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
21 degrees of total timing isn't much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:48 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
From looking at your data log, every value is jumping around like crazy. RPM could not possibly be varying that much. You are getting rpm misreads at the cpu, most likely caused by electro magnetic interference from some source under the hood. What kind of pick up are you using? Do you have suppression plugs and wires? It is hard to clean up the electrical environment enough for a weak, sensitive rpm trigger like the Mopar pickup to not get false reads. Grounds are very important. In spite of what you are told, it works better to take all your sensor grounds to the ecu itself, and not the engine block.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
There is some noise but it doesn't seem to be jumping around like crazy. Seems for the most part a change of rpm and pw correlates with a change of tps.

I'm guessing that the crank pickup from 36/1 wheel is driving the EDIS module. What's driving the efi system rpm input?

Have you looked at a megajolt log to see what its doing? May be hard to interpret unless you can get the scales to match up between the two logs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks for the input guys.

Dart 270, I'm running powerjection 3 with megajolt.

Jermame_c, yes that has happened before.

Sam Powell: I will check through where my grounds go, I am using a hall sensor, the plug wires I'm using are just stock replacments which fit this coil pack.

Pierre, the megajolt has a RPM output and that is being sent to the efi system. I have taken logs with the megajolt at the same time as the efi. Unfortunately I had one serial to usb adapter burn out just recently so I now can only do one at a time until I buy another.

I will be trying to get a friend to ride with my this weekend so I can safely watch the laptop :roll: haha. Also I can try to take some videos too.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:53 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If you are in gear driving down the road, I do not see how is possible that the RPM actually jumped repeatedly between 1000 and 2000 rpm at the rate shown in your datalog. The RPM signal is getting messed with, as is the TPS. You were not pumping the throttle were you? I understand you to say you were at WOT. The TPS signal would have been rock solid. I still say you are getting interference from under the hood there somewhere.

You might start by putting a ferrite choke on the alternator output. They are about 3 bucks at Radio Shack. You can set the filter rate a little higher. Do you have it turned on? Is your pick up wired with shielded cable? My BMW has shielded cable on all sensor grounds, and no high voltage spark exposed under the hood.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:32 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The map line doesn't show the same pattern that rpm/tps does. I don't think its a general noise issue, but unless we know the conditions the log was taken we are just guessing. Judging by the time scale that log is about 2 min. That's a very low frequency noise, if that's what it is.

Jac, was this log taken while driving, or at a standstill revving the throttle?

Yikes about the serial adapter. Get a second asap so you can match the logs up and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Pierre, I suppose you might be right. The datalog says it is 17 seconds which is longer than I thought. Until we know if this is a steady state, all is just a guess. I am eager to hear more from him.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
17 seconds is where the cursor is at (the red vertical line). That's how I estimated the total log shown was about 2 min worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks Pierre. I'm going to demonstrate my ignorance here again. Why does the rpm scale in the datalog only go to 2000? Does it display only the highest attained value? You have to assume it is trying to go higher and cannot.

Sam