Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
These guys:

http://www.rancefi.com/manifold-conversion-types.html

convert intake manifolds from carbed to fuel injection by installing injector bungs in the intake runners. One of the pictures in their scrolling display of converted manifolds appears to be a slant six Clifford intake with injectors intalled in the runners. Of course, that would be a fairly easy machining operation if you used one of the Clifford intakes with the injector bosses already cast into the roof of the runner. But if you had and Offy, Weiand, Lynx, or factory intake manifold then it would be more difficult.

Website says the cost to convert the intake is $475. I don't know if that includes the fuel rail, but I do know that it does not include the injectors or the throttle body.

That price seems a bit steep, but it looks like you get a nice finished product. If you don't have the time or skills or equipment to do this yourself, this is a nice option to have.

Post subject: Yep...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Rance has been around for quite a while and that picture and conversion was on the site back when I did my conversion of your hyperpak manifold (I had a company that is closer to the west coast do that work, cost was the same as this and he had to weld the bungs in like you would for the Offy and other manifolds).

Rance had a write up in Mopar action a while back and I think they used to specialize in the Accel DFI system but it looks like they now have converted over to using the Holley system (This is the system I have squirreled away while I figure out the engine build it will control).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:24 pm 
Supercharged

Interesting. While in the past I have been a proponent of the Ford MAF based MPFI system controlled by a TWEECER unit, the most popular Ford EEC-IV computers for this conversion are no longer available in the aftermarket except from junkyards, and prices are high. If I could find a reasonably priced MPFI system I would try it, but for now I have all the parts to convert a couple cars to the Ford system.

I would be interested to hear your opinion of the Holley system. I like the looks of it, but the price is out of my reach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:11 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
That slant six solution looks like the throttle body pretty much determined the final injector angle, which maybe steeper then I would have liked. And I have also known of Rance for years and their credible reputation. The cost quoted sounds fair to me, when all said and done, having done my own..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:22 pm 
Supercharged

My plan is to take a stock one aluminium barrel intake, saw the EGR ports and carbmount off, and weld on a throttle body mount that will not sit directly on top of the intake. That way I can angle the injectors to get close to squirting the backside of the intake valve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Has anyone converted a hurricane intake to MPFI?

1985 D250 360 46RH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
What about things like timing control?

Does Rance, or anyone else, use the Holley Dominator EFI system for running injection on a slant six?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... ts/554-114

Does this include timing control so the fuel system "talks" to the ignition timing?

Would it be necessary (or desirable) to set it up with something like this from MSD?
https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... parts/6201

What kind of distributor would you have to use with such a set up?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:17 pm 
Supercharged

The Ford MAF based MPFI system requires the use of the distributor off of a Ford 300 engine mchined to fit a slant six. This is actually a fairly simple modification. Another alternative is to run the Ford EDIS system. The MPFI system controls the ignition and timing and all parameters are adjustable via something like Tweecer or Moates quarterhorse aftermarket controllers.

I need to do a bit more research, but I think that more than just the 87-93 Mustang computers can be used for this swap.

Still, even if the computer costs $400, the Tweecer costs $400, the injection hardware costs around $300, and then you have the machine work, I think going the Ford route still costs less than one of the aftermarket systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I had a similar setup built by Nunley Machine in Covington, Georgia. Price was in the same ballpark - it came to $600 including fuel rail and a throttle body adapter (this was before elbow type throttle body adapters were readily available off the shelf).

Accel-DFI has been dead for a while - they'd been sold to MSD and then MSD got sold to Holley, and Holley didn't need three separate EFI systems in their stable. (On the other hand, Holley recently brought back both the Accel and Mallory CDI ignitions after MSD killed those off - go figure. The Jacobs brand seems dead for good, though.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:25 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Barracuda 'S' auto
Bung in head? Run any intake you want with a perfect injector angle. Injectors look like flathead six spark plugs. EZ rail position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:14 am 
Supercharged

pishta wrote:
Bung in head? Run any intake you want with a perfect injector angle. Injectors look like flathead six spark plugs. EZ rail position.

I know injectors in the head can and has been done, but I like the flexibility of keeping the injectors in the intake. That way if I need or want to run a different head, I just have to swap intakes and don't need to remachine a second head. I like being able to swap the injection system between motors or heads easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:24 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
And from what I have read, efi injectors close to value, show more upsides for low speed/emissions, farther away, favors higher rpm, to what degree, I don't know.