Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:45 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I have an '82 /6 D150. I have a problem with the truck draining the battery. I noticed when I started to drive it less that the battery would drain. So I took it to my shop and replaced a few things, like my alternator and some wiring. I still had problems, so I changed my battery. I thought I had fixed it but it was still draining. So my dad disconnected the camper shell light. At this point everything is disconnected, my radio, my interior fan, and the camper shell light. I let it sit for two weeks and the battery drained completely. I was talking to a tow truck driver who is an auto tech and he said the voltage regulator needs to be replaced. So has anyone else encountered this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
A bad voltage regulator wouldn't drain the battery while it sits. You have a short somewhere that is drawing power with the motor off. Time to start checking for a wire grounding out. Check the bulkhead connector.
Do you have any other accessorites like a clock or stereo? Underhood light?

Get a volt meter and disconnect the + cable on the battery. With the ignition off, check if any current flows between the + cable and the + battery terminal. If you have a reading, verify that all accessories are turned off or disconnected. If you still have a reading, pull your fuses one at a time until the readng goes away. Note which fuse makes the reading go away and that is the circuit where the short is.

By the way, don't go back to that shop. They aren't properly testing your components before they replace them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:11 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yep, I agree with everything Reed said. Sometimes stuff like this is due to a short, and sometimes it's due to something dumb like a glovebox light not turning off, or a wad of chewing gum foil in the cigarette lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
If you disconnect a terminal from the battery and put an amp meter between the connector & post, you should see how much current is being drawn. (Use a 10 amp meter or better.) That will give an idea of what kind of device is drawing the power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:09 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Sometimes it's due to something dumb like a glovebox light not turning off, or a wad of chewing gum foil in the cigarette lighter.

Another dumb thing is a stuck brake light switch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1982 D150 /6 AT, PS, MB Regular Cab
The cloth tape on my wiring harness disintegrated from the fusible links to the headlights. There are 5 or 6 wire splices that are not independently insulated without the tape. One of those may be grounding out. Get yourself a Factory Service Manual. It will have all of the wiring diagrams in it. I bought one from fleabay for about $20 shipped. Worth every penny.