Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Dash Gauge swap
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:14 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I have a 86' D-150 And it had the lights for the temp and oil pressure i put the factory mechanical gauges in from another used instrument panel and they do nothing as i expected it would..Does anyone have a diagram of the oil and temp sensors so i can see what changes i have to make to get them working?Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
when I re-newed the 83 D150 I swapped in a gauge cluster from a 1990 D150,, that swap upgraded the speedo from an 85 mph to a 100 mph, added a trip odometer as well as the variable oil pressure and temperature gauges, changed the ampmeter to a voltmeter, retained a fuel gauge,, that also had some changes.

the 1983 D150 gauge cluster with oil pressure and temperature idiot lights routed the voltage to the gauges through a 5 volt limiter.

the 1990 D150 gauge cluster runs the gauges off 12 volts.

assuming your variable gauges are from a 12 V gauge cluster, this is how mine are wired

oil pressure gauge has three wires from L to R

L oil pressure sending unit
M ground
R 12V power in

temp gauge has three wires from L to R

L temperature sending unit
M ground
R 12V power in

I remember having to change out the engine mounted oil pressure and temperature sensors, get the ones for a 1990 D150 and you should be good.

The OHM's resistance on the fuel level gauge also changed from the 83 to the 1990 gauge clusters, but I swapped in a 1990 fuel tank with the renew. If you swap in a new gauge cluster you will need to understand the OHM's resistance in use for the fuel level gauge that you have.

If you choose to swap in a complete 1990 gauge cluster send me a PM and I will send you a diagram that I worked out for the wiring. From 83 to 1990 the speedo changed from a cable driven unit in 83 to a electro-mechanical unit in 1990, but that made the addition of cruse control that much easier.

regards